Chapter 13

Chapter 13

Nick's POV

I had followed an impulse. I'm just glad it was a right one.

She did like me.

The idea of it made me feel... wonderful. 

Afterwards we had gone out to the back and sat at the pool side, our feet in the water. 

The sky had darkened to a grey-ish dark blue, and every minute, more stars started shimmering in it's depth. 

We started chatting then, about silly stuff first but the conversation would become deeper the more that we conversed. I couldn't keep my eyes off Liz the whole time.

"I've been surfing since I'm four" she confessed with a smile. That was her response to my previous question.

"What? How is that possible?!" I asked, in shock. Four was a very young age if you ask me. Surfing is not an easy sport.

"My mother was a surfer. She started teaching me at that age. She would get on the surfboard with me and teach me how to paddle. She never let me out of her sight. She taught me everything she could for the next five years, then she stopped coming in the water with me. She said she preferred staying on the sidelines, watching me with pride. Once I even saw tears in her eyes after I surfed a wave like a pro. I was filled with happiness. I had made my mom proud. Even after her death, surfing is still as important to me, or even more. I feel like the connection with her is stronger when I'm there riding some waves. As if she were there with me, like when I was young" the smile on her face was as genuine as I have ever seen it. Her eyes glistened with a fire that I'm sure burned inside of her. This is why she was so passionate about surfing. It was to keep her mother's memory alive. 

"I'm sure she still watches over you" I stated. She looked beside her at me, her smile unwavering.

"I know. I will keep making her proud until I can't stand on a board anymore  I'll keep surfing until life forces me to stop, but until then... the ocean is my second home".

I smiled at that statement. That was her other home. She had both her safe havens at range, while I was left with none. I shook the thought. It wasn't going to do any good for me to think about that.

"Can I ask, what happened to your mom?" I asked slowly.

Liz shrugged.

"She had cancer. I witnessed as my mom, who used to be so full of life and vitality, grow tire and her life withered slowly before my eyes. It was devastating for me when she died. I was only ten. I had thought I would always have my mom with me, but I lost her. My dad's job has always kept him away from home for long periods of time. My mom wasn't a fan of his profession, but she would have never asked him to leave what he loved. I know when she died he felt responsible. I think he believed that if he were around more he could have done something. But he couldn't have, no one could".

I was hesitant to do anything but I pulled some courage and took her hand in mine. I wanted her to know that I was here for her.

"I wasn't alone though. When dad wasn't home, I would stay with Blake and his father. They were always like my extended family. Blake and I grew up together, and since he's three years older than me, he would take care of me, as if he were my older brother. It helped to have someone making sure I was alright; even when I felt like I wasn't".

I ignored the bothersome sting of jealousy I always felt when she mentioned Blake and kept track of the conversation.

"What about now, how are you doing now?" I ask, looking at her while I rubbed my thumb on the soft skin of her wrist.