Chapter 17

Chapter 17

Nick's POV

Carlos said he had a surprise for me, but when I heard my brother's voice from the other side of the line my heart almost stopped. Literally.

I lifted my gaze and this one found Liz's eyes; she was watching me curiously, but there was a hint of fear in their depth as well. I pushed the thought aside, ignoring the slight distraction.

"Joe?" I asked, in disbelief.

"No, Brad Pitt. Of course it's Joe" my brother replied sarcastically. I could hear a smile on his voice and a grin grew on my lips. I felt my chest swell and a laugh forced its way out of my lips. Yes, I actually laughed.

"Oh.My.God. He laughed? Is the world coming to an end? It must be. Nick Jonas laughing, at his brother's super lame attempt at being funny?" I laughed some more at my brother's theatricals. 

I didn't reply. I didn't even know what to say! I was in shock mostly. 

"Nick, how are you doing?" his voice turned serious from one second to the other, and my smile faded at the change of topics.

"I'm alright" I answered slowly.

"Are you really, bro? I don't want to ruin this whole thing but mom misses you, we all miss you.... I miss you" I bit my lip at his statement. I found Liz's eyes again. "Could you give me a sec?" I whispered. She nodded hesitantly before turning on her heels and walking out of my room. Once she was gone I sighed and sat down at the edge of my bed.

"I miss you guys too" I replied. There was a moment of silence before my brother spoke again.

"I tried.... I tried to get Carlos to take me to you, but he said no. Said it was too dangerous for both you and me" I smiled at his confession.

"He's right, Joe. You think I want to be here, without all of you? I have wanted to take a plane back ever since I got here. But I am not risking any of you getting hurt because of me. You're my family, the people I love the most in this world. I will never put you guys in harm's way".

"Please tell me it isn't that bad wherever you are?" Joe pleaded.

"It isn't that bad. Carlos and his daughter have been very... welcoming" I finished awkwardly. Technically Liz and I had a rough start but we're dealing with that so it's better not to mention it.

"Oh yeah, Carlos told me he had a daughter. Is she hot?" Joe asked cheekily. I laughed.

"C'mon Nick, is she hot or not?" he asked again. He was clearly enjoying this part of our conversation. He enjoyed anything that made me uncomfortable, but he's my older brother, it's kind of his "job". 

I hesitated a moment. "Is Carlos there with you?" I questioned.

"No, he left the room to let me talk to you in peace. Stop stalling and spill it" Joe demanded.

I sighed, a smile forming at my lips. 

"She's sort of attractive" I mumbled. 

"How attractive?" Joe urged. I rolled my eyes.

"Very" I added forcefully.

"How much is very?" he pushed, I could tell he was faking annoyance.

"Dude, very attractive. She's beautiful, and she's smart and she has this fiery temper that just pulls me in and makes me push her buttons and I enjoy every second of it" I closed my mouth, shocked. Did I just say that outloud? I believe I did...