Chapter 1

It was a long ride, it took us about two hours to land and even then I discovered it was only to put me in a private jet.

One of the agents kept trying to make conversation but I made no part of it. I had absolutely no desire to keep up a friendly/ polite demeanor.

My life had just been taken from me. I could no longer choose my own destiny, make my own path; I would now live a life created for me. A lie. A fantasy. I would have to pretend to be someone I am not. It would be the same as living as a prisoner, my freedom was no longer an issue since I now had none. The thought hardened my heart. 

Hours later during the flight, I dozed off. Wherever they were taking me, it was not going to be in America, that I knew for sure. Which meant it would be a long time before we landed, so I might as well catch up on my sleep.

It was a sunny day, with a clear blue sky looking down on me. A soft breeze blew on my face and I smiled. I was barefoot, my feet crunched when stepping on the healthy grass below me but I took no notice, I could only enjoy this, my freedom. But a bad feeling took over me, the hair behind my neck prickled at this nagging sensation that I was being watched.

Then the scene changed.

Sweat trickled down my jaw and neck, while I struggled with my hands which were tied behind my back. I could hear their voices, pleading for their lives. My family. I needed to save them. They wouldn't be in this predicament if it weren't for me. I didn't do anything except being at the wrong place at the wrong time- isn't that the issue most times?

"Mom! Dad!" I yelled for them and a hurling scream followed. They were hurting them! "Please, please don't harm them. I'm here, hurt me I beg of you!" But no one ever answered. An eerie silence surrounded me and I feared the worst. Tears burned behind my eyes but I fought to keep them at bay, I was not going to look weak in front of the people who may have... hurt my loved ones. 

"Mr. Jonas, we have finally landed" the burly man announced. I shook my head trying to clear it from the haze the nightmare had left. I knew that dream would haunt me more often than not from now on, I could feel it like the irrevocable truth that it was.

Once I was off the plane, the burly man walked alongside me, ushering me inside a black sedan. He sat next to me. I took a deep breath and surprised myself by asking, "So what's your name?" 

The man glanced at me, a smile spreading on his lips, "For a while, I thought you were mute", then he chuckled at his own joke.

I shrugged, bothered by his humor.

"I can't tell you my real name kid, but you can call me Carlos" he offered his hand and I shook it momentarily.

"Why Carlos? You don't look like a Carlos" I commented, for a moment, saying exactly what had been on my mind. He laughed again.

"Why not?" he replied with a careless shrug. I found myself wishing I hadn't asked. Why do I care what his name is? Is not like we were going to be friends or anything... in fact I'm sure he's just my escort, and I will not see him again after today.

After a long car drive, we finally reached our destination.

"We're here" my escort announced cheerfully. There was nothing cheerful about me starting a new fake life so I didn't respond in any way.

I reached for the door handle and pushed my door open, stepped outside and pushed it close. "Carlos" did the same. He then reached down the trunk and pulled my luggage out of the car. I turned around and realized we were on a beach. What the-

"Amazing huh?" Carlos offered. I didn't answer.

All I could do was stare. There were small cottages on the beach, and I mean literally on the beach. There was a wooden bridge connecting all of them together, the only way of reaching them, unless you wanted to swim your way to them.

"Am I going to live in one of those?" I asked, still in shock. They couldn't possibly expect me to live in such an unsafe place. 

"Naw, you're living in one of the beach houses that are on actual solid ground. Don't worry. We thought only on what would be best for you. We want you to be comfortable in this new environment" I scoffed and rolled my eyes.

"Yeah, yeah of course. I appreciate it" I mumbled. I really didn't. The more I saw, the more I wanted to take a plane back home and take my chances. But then my recent nightmare surfaced on my mind and I regretted even thinking about it, I would never endanger my family out of selfishness. 

We then continued our walk until a beach house came into view. It looked big and I wondered if this would be my new "home". My silent question was answered without me even saying it out-loud.

"Yeah, this is where you'll be living" Carlos announced. I nodded, and was about to walk towards it when his large hand grabbed my arm.

"A few things you need to remember. One, never tell anyone your last name. We don't think anyone will care who you are here, but it's better to take that precaution. Second, to anyone who asks, you're Carlos best friend's son who just lost his home, alright?" I nodded.

"Does that mean I'm staying with you?" I asked, trying to sound nonchalant. I shouldn't care if I was staying with him, but for some reason, I did.

"Technically" he replied vaguely.

"Which means what?" I asked a little defensive, then checked myself and apologized.

"Sorry" I muttered.

"It's alright, I can understand your frustration. No one would be willingly happy about leaving their whole life behind. To answer your question, you will be living in my house but I'm hardly ever here, I do a lot of traveling because of my job. You won't be lonely though" and that's all he said before walking away. I forced myself to follow him.

I won't be lonely? What does that even mean?

I stayed closely behind him and took in his "house". It was pretty big for a house and I could spot a pool in the back. The place looked expensive and there was nothing humble about it.

"Job pays good?" I inquired. Carlos laughed before winking and pushing the front door open. 

"Honey I'm home!" he announced loudly. A few seconds passed by and nothing happened, but then a girl around my age came down the stairs.

"Dad!" she yelled excitedly before jumping in her father's open arms, and being enveloped in his embrace.

"It's nice to see you sweetheart"  his voice was full of raw emotion and I guessed that he didn't get to see his daughter much because of his job. I looked away, letting them have their moment. 

When someone cleared their throat, I looked back at them and found them both looking at me. 

"And you are?" the girl asked.

She was a couple of inches shorter than me, with brown eyes. Her hair was long, wavy and brown with blonde and pink highlights. It never appealed to me when girls dyed their hair in colorful tones, I was a fan of the natural look.

I then realized I had been staring and she was waiting for my answer. 

"I'm Nick" I murmured.

"I'm Liz" she replied without missing a beat. She then stuck her hand out towards me. I looked at her extended hand for longer than I should have but shook it anyways; very briefly.

She gave me a weird confused look, probably wondering what was wrong with me. I didn't really care.

"Hun, Nick is my best friend's son. He recently lost his home and his father begged me to take him in for a while, until he could get himself together and get a new home" I blinked at his lie. He was lying to his own daughter? That means she doesn't know about his job right? I shook my head in annoyance; at least his daughter deserved to know the truth about him!

It's not your problem Nick, I reminded myself.

"Okay daddy" she answered.

"Would you do me a favor sweetie. I have to go to the store for a bit to buy some groceries. Could you show him around, I'm sure he'd appreciate it" Carlos suggested. 

I swallowed the immediate response I wanted to say about not caring and nodded in agreement with him. She smiled and said a cheerful "okay".