10: My appearance

Author's POV

The Hokage sat at his desk in his office, approving files, missions, and going through the usual paperwork any Kage of the five villages had to do. Chief Ijuro from the Assassin building came to hand in the paperwork needed to allow his men to complete assassinations.

"How did our newest member of the assassins do, Ijuro?" Lord Third asked warmly when Ijuro entered the office.

"She far surpassed my expectations," was the answer. "Jolin is truly a professional. She doesn't hesitate to kill."

Sarutobi chuckled at Ijuro's reply. "So she's doing well?"

"She completed a 24-48 hour mission within 2 hours!" Ijuro exclaimed. " I've never heard of such a thing!"

"Oh?"

"And to top that off, I hear she is the daughter of Morino-san! Just who is this girl?!"

"If you want to say something about me or my kid, just say it to me directly," a dark, threatening voice spoke from behind the office door. Ibiki entered, a threatening aura about him. Only the highly-skilled ninjas (like the Hokage) could take on Ibiki's threatening presence without flinching. Everyone else wasn't so lucky.

"Oh, I see you finished quite early, Ibiki," Lord Third greeted as if Ibiki was a completely harmless person. Ijuro shivered and stayed as far as he could away from the interrogator. "By four days."

"The lord wanted to get rid of the prisoner much faster than they reported, so they sent him 3/4 of the way and my team brought him back," Ibiki explained.

"Well done. Go on home then. You can ask your daughter how she managed to finish a 24/48 hour mission in two hours," Sarutobi said, amused at Ijuro's reaction.

"She's my kid. That's how she can finish those kind of jobs," Ibiki said before leaving.

"Morino-san and his daughter are rather dark, aren't they?" Ijuro said a little more calmly.

"I wonder if that's so."

"Eh?" Ijuro was puzzled by the Hokage's answer.

"No doubt, Jolin has passed our tests and proven her self as a professional assassin," Sarutobi began, rising from his chair. "But at the same time, she carries a side that is rather delicate. One that could easily be broken with a few choice words."

Ijuro didn't know what to say.

The Hokage continued, "Also, the burdens she carries can't be taken off by herself. The burdens of being an assassin." He turned towards the window that showed a beautiful night sky of the village below. "Ijuro, to you and to many others, Jolin is an assassin that kills without hesitation, almost without a heart, but that's not true."

"Then.....why does she kill? For pleasure? I doubt that," Ijuro questioned.

"For the sake of just killing."

"What?"

"In other words, to keep herself alive."

Jolin's POV

I was so happy to see my father come in through the front door, saying he was home! I didn't expect him to come home THIS early, so this was like a nice surprise for me.

"Hi dad!" He reached down to pat my head and organized his gear before sitting down to our late dinner. "Welcome back."

"I came home really early, thanks to the lord holding the prisoner in custody," My dad said.

"What did he do?"

"Made everyone's life easier by delivering the prisoner more than half way across the country to get rid of him faster. What did you do while I was gone?"

"I attended the academy and learned the basics of chakra, even if I can't use it," I said. Dad was a little disappointed to find out I couldn't use chakra, but was glad to hear my other skills surpassed the academy students.

"Still a professional killer, right?" Dad assured me. "You can still be a great assassin without needing to rely on chakra."

"Right. Although does it make life easier?" I asked curiously.

"In some ways, yes. You definitely need to train to get strong though in order for you to be on compatible terms with your current level. If you're Genin, you should work hard to reach Chunin level. At least from there, you can defend yourself properly and team up with other Chunins to take a couple Jonin out or until you can run for your life," Dad explained.

"Aha. You can also get a higher-ranking mission."

"Right. Speaking of missions, I heard you got another job, right?"

"Yeah, but it's on hold until Hokage-sama orders a team to join the assassination," I added.

"I see. It's level B, isn't it?" (Forgot to mention that, sorry.)

"Yup."

"Good." We talked a little more before cleaning up and going to bed. Let's see who's going to be on my team.