5: Something I've lost

Jolie's POV 

"Ah, hello," Genma greeted me. He was sitting in a chair next to the bed, his arm bandaged up.

"Um, I want to apologize for taking things too far," I said quietly. "and I want to apologize again if I have offended you."

"Don't worry about it," Genma replied. "Your skills are something else, though."

"Thank you."

We chatted for a bit before Kakashi popped in to give me a key to my dad's apartment.

"Morino-san isn't home though, he's on a mission, but he'll be back around tonight," Kakashi said, handing me the key. "If not tonight, you'll see him tomorrow."

"T-thank you very much!" I choked out before rushing from the hospital. I was waiting to see my father after eight long years, and soon, I would get to meet him! 

I ran all the way to my dad's apartment and unlocked the door. The apartment was somewhat similar to mine, only a little bigger. 

As I explored my new home, I found my dad's bedroom. I hesitantly open the door and see his room is neat. I expected that from my dad. Neat and organized. His closet was filled neatly with weapons and torture devices I had studied back at Class E. I wasn't surprised to see this. In fact, my dad taught me what a knife was when I was around three. 

I spotted something on my dad's nearly empty bedside table. Curious, I walked over and instantly recognized the tiny bracelet I made for my dad when I was little. 

I left my dad's room and entered another room across from his and found myself in a green and white bedroom. The bed had green pillows and a folded green blanket, the closet door was painted a light green, and a small floor rug was also green. 

After setting my bag on the green bed, I went to the kitchen and sat down. I didn't know if dad would come back early or not, so I decided to cook. Back in class E, Korosensei taught us how to cook. 

"Salt, salt, salt, where are you, salt?" I muttered, looking around for the salt. I found it in one of the cupboards and set out to make a simple dish of fried rice. I ate a little and set aside the rest for my dad. 

"Okay, it's only seven, so I'll just wait for him to come home," I said to myself. 

So I sat down at the table. 

Dad didn't come home. 

I didn't go to bed until it was ten, and that when Korosensei's words came back to me. 

"It's not good to go to bed late, Jolin. You should be asleep before eleven and let your mind rest to one in the morning. This will allow your mind to get the sufficient rest it needs to let everything you've learn during the day, absorb while you're asleep. Better go to bed!" 

I sighed and looked at the clock. 10:01 pm. I should listen to Korosensei. So I slept. 

Actually, I slept right on the kitchen table. 

Author's POV 

It wasn't until 1:40 am that Ibiki Morino finally got home. He had just finished a mission and had received information his daughter was at his apartment. He hurried home and was surprised to see Jolin sleeping at the kitchen table as well as his late dinner already prepared. 

"Kid..." He touched her head gently. Like any good father, he cradled her in his strong arms and carried her to the bedroom he had prepared for her. He removed the bag from the bed and tucked her in, gently brushing the hair from her face. "Welcome back." 

Ibiki finished the dinner, did some more work, then checked on Jolin once more before going to his own room. 'My kid is back.'