3: My Occupation

Jolin's POV

"She's his daughter?!" Iruka couldn't comprehend this piece of information. I stood at the door with Kakashi in silence and confusion.

"Ibiki has a kid, and Jolin is his kid," Kakashi repeated. "Go on and sit over there, Jolin. Will Lord Third come out soon?" He directed the question to Iruka.

"Uh, yes. He should be done any minute," Iruka said, composing himself at last. "Should we get Morino-san?"

Morino? That's my last name!

"Nah, Hokage-sama will call for him if necessary." Kakashi waved the thought aside. "He's not here anyways."

Iruka blinked. "Oh! He's on a mission."

"Mhm." Kakashi lost in his book again. I sat patiently on the chair and looked around. I didn't know what to do.

Five minutes later, Kakashi wandered away, and Iruka stayed in the office, organizing papers and such while asking me a few friendly questions. He told me a little bit about himself as well.

All of a sudden, a knock came on the door.

Iruka yelled "Come in!"

The person opened the door, and I instantly recognize the guy as one of the many people who were staring at me. They wore Jonin uniforms but had that fan symbol.

I guess the person spotted me too and turned to look at me with cold, piercing black eyes. Not the kind warm ones my father had.

"Hn." The guy turned to see Hokage-sama not present and sat down in the chair right next to me.

I didn't dare look at him and looked blankly ahead.

He did the same.

I have to say, this is scary.

The silence is killing me.

How long have we been sitting here?

"Guess I'm done then," Iruka muttered to himself, picking up more paperwork then leaving the office.

No! Iruka Sensei! Come back! Don't leave me alone with this stranger!

I didn't voice my thoughts and sat rigidly in my chair.

So did the stranger.

I adverted my eyes to the clock that seemed to tick oh-so slow and tortuously.

Two minutes...that's how long this guy was sitting next to me.

The scary part was neither of us spoke. Or moved.

I don't even think we were trying to breathe.

The tension was so strong, I could choke.

The guy had a file in his hand, which he didn't bother opening.

Come on! Open the file! Do something! Anything!

He didn't.

I have a bag. Just open it and do something!

I didn't.

We sat like this in our chairs for a good twenty minutes.

Finally, another ten minutes later, the door opened and an elderly man came in wearing the Hokage attire and hat. He seemed a bit surprised to see both of us and smiled just the same. Two ANBU guards came in as well and saluted to the guy sitting next to me.

"Hello, Fugaku," The Hokage said, puffing his pipe and sitting down at his desk. "You must be Jolin, yes?"

"Hai," I answered.

"I see. Jolin, wait for me a little longer. Fugaku, is this your report?" Hokage-sama gestured to the file in his hand.

"Yes, Hokage-sama," Fugaku answered in a firm, stern tone. After another two quick minutes, Fugaku gave me a final long stare before leaving the office.

"Hello, Jolin," the Hokage greeted me warmly. "I am the Hokage, and I understand you are to be a resident of Konoha, yes?"

"Hai." I gave him my pass, Mr. Karasuma's letter, and Koro Sensei's letter. He scanned through them briefly and smiled at me.

"I see. Jolin, are you a full-fledged assassin? If so, do you have your credentials?"

"Hai. Right here," I said, taking out my license. Who knew you needed a license to kill legally?

"Right. Jolin, I'll also going to test you against one of my own men, so follow me outside when you are ready," he said, getting to his feet.

I touched my weapons that were hidden on me and followed the Hokage outside. He and the ANBU lead me to an open field near a river. The Hokage spotted a Chunin standing against a tree.

"Jolin, you will be 'assassinating' Genma," Hokage-sama explained, as the Jounin came forward. He gave a silent bow and stood erect while I silently observed him. "You have until midnight and if you are curious, it's five right now." He smiled and stood back along with his two personal bodyguard ANBU.

"Understood," Genma and I said in sync.

"Begin!" I darted into the trees and began forming a plan in my head. I had a knife and a taser. I was also a professional killer, and no ninja was going to beat me.