Chapter 34: Colleen

It had been at least 3 hours since James had told me to hide. That was much too long to have any time for a guest. He should have been looking for me by now.

Something had to be wrong. I decided I better sneak downstairs and see. Before I could even get out of the trunk, I heard loud footsteps and muffled voices that sounded very rugged and aggressive.

It could be James and Baylor, couldn't it?

No, Baylor was still injured...

I cracked open the lid so I could peer out. I saw two huge men, both dressed in what looked like black hunting gear. One had a belt decorated in many different types of knives, and the other had a bow and a quiver of arrows strapped to his back. They reminded me of those thieving brothers in Disney's Tangled.

I needed to get out of here, but first I needed to not be seen. I shut the lid quickly, which was a major mistake. It hit the body of the trunk with a huge thud. I gritted my teeth. I really hoped they didn't hear that.

"There!" I heard one of them shout.

I cursed under my breath. They had found me after all.

I could feel the trunk being locked from the outside. No, I was not going through this again.

I figured since this trunk was so old, maybe the walls of it would break if I hit it with enough force...

Nope. I was very wrong about that.

I screamed, punching and kicking the walls as hard as I could. But there was no luck no matter how hard I tried

Suddenly, I was being lifted into the air and jerked around so much that I got whiplash from it.

There was no use to try anymore.

I would just have to wait this trip out until they released me from this ancient box.

I wondered what had happened to James. Did they kill him? Or did they kidnap him, too? Hopefully Mom and Dad hadn't returned yet and they were still safe.

But what about Baylor? Did they leave him there or take him too? If he was dead, I couldn't bare it.

If they killed him, I would personally make it my business to kill them.

I furrowed my eyebrows in anger, then began to sob.