Chapter 8: Baylor

Class after class everyday was getting rather annoying, but at least I was a senior and almost done with school though. If I was a Freshman again I'd probably kill myself. Being at the bottom of the totem pole really sucks. But being at the top, now that was the life.

I really wished I was Colleen though; she never has to do this again. She doesn't have to go to classes, or take tests, or even do homework. I didn't get to ask her if she missed all those thing, but I doubt she does. Who would miss all that stress? I definitely wouldn't.

Colleen came to all my classes after lunch with me and helped me with each one. After school, I went to football practice and she cheered me on like she always does.

We got in my car and started down the hill from school to our neighborhood McDonald's. I didn't feel like going in to eat so I got in the drive thru lane.

"Wait," Colleen said.

"What?"

She looked over at me. "Aren't you having dinner with my family tonight? It's Tuesday."

I slammed my forehead into the steering wheel. "Crap, babe. I forgot. Let's go."

I sped out of the drive thru land and drove faster than I probably should have to Colleen's house.

I still had the garage door opener her family let me borrow so I could put my car in the garage when I came over. Colleen's dad was obsessed with my car and insisted I kept it where it would be safe. He would even clean the interior and the exterior both for me when he thought it needed done. Which was almost every time I visited (Although I kept the car clean anyways.) As soon as I turned off the engine, Colleen's parents rushed out into the garage and over to my door.

"It's so nice to see you again, Baylor!" her mom said.

"Yes," Mr. Rivers smiled. "We thought you weren't coming. We have food ready though if you would like to come inside and eat with us. James is even here."

"Oh, great! Thank you both so much. I actually didn't know if you wanted me here still or not but I came anyways!"

Colleen was beside me, holding onto my arm. She looked nervous but I couldn't tell why.

Mr. Rivers patted me on the back and said, "Anytime, son, anytime."

We all walked in and Mrs. Rivers told me to go ahead and take my seat at the table. The spot beside me, Colleen's spot, was not set up with a plate or silverware. Colleen still sat there, a sad smile on her face.

"They didn't...they didn't set my spot up..." she complained.

"You're dead, babe–"

Colleen shot me a death glare. (No pun intended.)

"...Dead gorgeous!" I finished with a wink.

She smiled and rolled her emerald green eyes at me for what seemed like the millionth time today.

Colleen's brother thumped down the stairs, his skin as white as a ghost, like he hadn't had any sun for weeks. His hair was a mess and matted in places, his clothes were wrinkled and sloppily put on. He was a walking train wreck.

"Uh, hey James," I said.

James slowly brought his gaze up to me, nodded, then sat down in the seat across from Colleen.

Colleen's parents strolled in with rolls, mashed potatoes and gravy, green beans, and steak, carrying it to the table.

"Baylor? Will you mind grabbing the butter? My hands were full and I couldn't carry it," Mrs. Rivers said.