Chapter 10: Baylor

I didn't want to lose my mom. I mean, who wants to?

My mom has been there for me since day one – taking care of me when I was sick, supporting me at all my sporting events, making me feel better when I was depressed, and many more things. And now I had to be there for her.

The doctor immediately let me in when he was informed that I was her son and my father was working and could not get off just yet.

I walked through her hospital room door and ran to her side, grabbing her hand and placing it in mine. She didn't even wince. Her eyes stayed shut and her body was frozen still, unmoving, besides her chest slowly rising and falling with her breaths.

"She's not in a coma, if that's what you were wondering," one of the nurses chimed in. "She's just resting. More like a, uh, deep slumber."

I could feel tears forming in my eyes. I just didn't know if they were happy tears or sad tears yet. This was both good and bad news. Good that she wasn't in a coma. Bad she was even in this horrid hospital. Colleen hugged me from behind and I instantly felt at peace. If I was a tsunami, she was the land that slowed me from forming destruction and sorrow. Without her, I would be a mess.

"What happened to her? I just came home and found her lying on the floor..."

The nurse took a deep breath and stepped closer to us. "She had a minor heart attack, but she'll be fine now," the nurse said. "We just need to keep her over night to watch her. You are welcome to stay here with her or return home. If you need someone to drive you, We can find someone."

"Thank you, but it's alright I drove here I can drive back."

The nurse nodded solemnly. "Alright, sir. Please don't drive while upset though."

I smiled at her. "Wouldn't dream of it." I headed for the door and Colleen followed.

We walked back outside to the car, not saying a word. She drove us back home and that's where we stayed. We stayed in the living room, cuddled under a blanket and the TV blaring in the dark. Voices were talking but I hardly registered them. I was focused on Colleen. Her head rested on my shoulder, my arm draped around her. She squirmed around until she got comfortable then fell asleep. I smiled and kissed her on the forehead, turning my attention to the quiet TV.

I felt around for my phone and pushed the power button, turning it on. The screen lit up bright, blinding me for a split second because it was so dark. I looked at the time and it read 11:47 PM.

It's almost Thursday, I thought. I can go get Mom tomorrow.

Dad was probably at the hospital now, at Mom's bedside. After all, he was the type of person to stay right there until the end. That's what I admired about him since I was little.

When my Mom was in labor with my little sister when I was eight, Dad refused to leave her. Even when the doctor told him it would be wise to leave, he stayed. He never left her.

When Baby Emily came, she was the most precious thing I had seen. Sadly, she was only here for twenty minutes before she died from lack of oxygen getting to her lungs. The doctors tried everything in their power to help her, but there was nothing they could do. During this time, Dad never left Mom's side. He comforted her and kept telling her it was alright. Of course she didn't believe him, but she finally got worn out from crying and fell asleep.

I shook myself out of the memory and grabbed the TV remote to turn off the television. The room immediately went black and I took it as my cue to go to sleep also.

Colleen's head was still on my shoulder so I couldn't move a lot without waking her. I slowly reached for a blanket and laid it over her. There was no where for me to lay my head, so I put my head on top of hers and closed my eyes, slowly drifting to sleep.