Chapter 13: Colleen

Okay, so here's what Baylor told me:

I died. I came to him in a ghost form. We spent every waking moment together. No one else saw me but him. He told me Nat thought he was crazy. We visited my grave a couple times. He swore he heard something (which was me screaming my head off in that confounded coffin.) His mom was in the hospital but is alright now. We actually did go trick-or-treating together but it was with Ghost Me. And now, Ghostie disappeared and in her place appeared real me.

And here's what I told him:

"Baylor, you're a nutcase."

"Am not!" he retorted. "I mean, I'm not, Colleen. I swear. All this really happened. It's just — actually I don't know why you can't remember. Oh well. That doesn't matter. You're back and that's what matters."

We didn't say anything else to each other until we arrived at my house.

"Here," Baylor said, tossing me a hoodie.

I held it up to examine it. "Why do I need this?"

"So you're Dad doesn't see you right off the bat. Just trust me. Put it on."

I shrugged and slipped the oversized hoodie over my head, arranging the hood so it casted a shadow over my face, making it impossible to see who I really was.

By some miracle, no one was home but Dad at this time. As soon as we slammed the car doors shut, Dad appeared at the front window, then immediately at the door to greet me and Baylor.

"Oh hello, Baylor! It's so nice to see you! What can I help you with – oh, who's this young lad?"

"Um, that's the thing. I need to talk to you. But you might need to sit down, sir."

Dad was clearly confused but he shrugged it off. "Sure thing! Come on in."

Baylor let me go first and I walked through my front door to my living room. This room, this house, didn't even feel like mine anymore. I could suddenly feel some type of emptiness starting to consume me while I was in here and I wanted to get out.

"Baylor, let's hurry this up."

"Okay, okay. Jeez you're pushy today."

For that comment, he got a good 'ole punch in the arm. While he was tending to his arm, we sat down on the couch and Dad sat in his rocking chair. "So, who is this?"

"Do you promise to not yell and scream?" Baylor asked.

My father seemed confused — as he should be — but nodded in agreement.

"Ghostie, will you do the honors?"

I flicked back my hood and unzipped the jacket, taking it off completely. My long black hair, now in a wavy mess, was revealed, as was my burial clothes still on me, and my skin, a porcelain white.

"My baby girl! What? How did this...Baylor how —"

"I'm not certain, sir. Miracles?"

Dad wouldn't take his eyes off me. I could tell he was tearing up too. "A miracle indeed. But I still need an explanation."

Baylor and I explained the entire story to him. Starting with the funeral. Around the part of me coming out of the coffin he collapsed on the couch, but continued to stare at the ground.

"I know it's a lot to take in, Dad," I said understandably. "But please, we can't tell Mom or James just yet."

"Why not?" he asked, as he looked up. "Why can't they know that their daughter, their sister, is alive."

"Because. Do you see how badly you freaked out? Think of how bad it'll be for them. They'll actually freak out. For real," I reasoned.

Dad stood up. "I guess so, sweetheart." He opened his arms, inviting me for a hug. I ran to my father and hugged him; I thought I would never have the chance to do that again.

"So what now?" Baylor asked to no one in particular.

"Oh...I have no clue. Dad?"

"Well, for now, why don't you two go have some alone time. You both need it."

I looked up at Dad and smiled at him. "Thanks, Dad. I love you."

He smiled back. "Love you too, honey. Now go have some fun."

I felt bad about leaving Dad there by himself, especially since we were just reunited, but he seemed like he needed to take it all in by himself.

"Where are we going?" I asked Baylor as we started to back out my driveway.

He shrugged. "I guess you'll find out now won't you?"

"You don't know where we are headed, do you?"

He shook his head. "Nope. No clue."

~~~

Apparently we were going to the park. We didn't have any food with us so we had to stop at McDonald's and get some food. We got some Big Macs, some chicken nuggets, some fries, and two large sweet teas. Baylor parked in the nearest parking place he could find and we climbed a hill that was shaded by a weeping willow.

"Okay, the scenery is beautiful," I pointed out as we reached the top. "This is a great spot."

Baylor shrugged. "I tried, Ghostie." He paused. "Well, I guess I can't call you that anymore."

I laughed. "No, not really."

I had carried a blanket from Baylor's car up the hill while he carried the food so we would have something to sit on. As soon as I got the blanket set up, Baylor dove down on it and ripped open the bags, grabbing a Big Mac, a packet of chicken nuggets, and one of the fries.

"You'd think," I said, calmly grabbing my food, "That I would be the one hurrying to get the food because I haven't ate anything since I was put in that stupid coffin. But we see that this is not the case."

Baylor looked up at me with his big blue eyes, his mouth already crammed full of fries. I contained a laugh, smiling and rolling my eyes at him.

This had to be one of the best dates ever. Of course the Dollywood date still reigns at the top, but this one is already a close second and we just got here.

After we finished eating, the fall air was starting to become chillier, the winds rushing around us because we were on top of the hill. Baylor could see that I was cold and took off his hoodie, handing it to me. I smiled and took it gladly.

I missed this. I missed this so much.