Chapter 37: What's Up With Stiles?

Start from the beginning

"The key you were talking about last night?" Scott asks. 

"Yeah, I showed you it, right? Didn't I show it to you?"

"No, you just told me about it. I never actually saw it."

Stiles sighs and starts to walk back towards the whiteboard. "I was here a couple hours ago. And the message left to Barrow spelling Kira and Lizzie's names were right there on the board in my handwriting and I had the key to the chemistry closet."

"So you think that you unlocked the chemistry closet so Barrow could hide in it from the cops and then you wrote him a message to kill me and Kira?" I ask.

"I know, I know how it sounds, but look at this." He digs through his pocket and takes out a new article. "This is the news report that came out about Barrow when they caught him, ok? About the shrapnel bomb he used. See this? See what he did? He put nuts, bolts and screws. And then he hid the bomb and the detonator in a box that he wrapped as a birthday present. What does that sound like to you?"

"Coach, the joke we played on Coach." Scott realizes. 

"That was my idea. You remember? That was my idea. That's no coincidence. It can't be." Stiles responds.

"I don't want to sound like I'm telling you that you're wrong." I start. "But I don't think you're trying to kill people either. At least, not you." I say, thinking of what could be happening. 

"It was here. It was all here." He whispers, looking back at the board.

"Are you feeling ok? You're looking really tired." Scott observes. 

"Yeah, I'm fine. I just haven't been sleeping really..."

"Why don't I take you home?" I ask, putting a hand on his shoulder. "Take a sick day or something?"

"Yeah, yeah..." He sighs.

"Lets get you home." I take his arm and walk him out of the school. We get to his jeep and I start to drive to his house.

"It was all there..." He whispers. "It was all there."

"Stiles, it's ok. We'll figure it out." I say soothingly.

"Could- could you take me to the hospital instead?" He asks.

"Yeah." I agree wearily. We get there and he heads to the front desk. Mom gives me a questioning look before looking up something on her computer. 

"Dr. Gardner's not back until next week." Mom says as I come closer. "Do you want to try waiting for one of the urgent care doctors or..."

"Stiles?" I ask as he backs away from the desk shakily. "Are you alright?"

"I-I don't know." He responds quietly. "I guess... I guess not really."

"Alright. Alright kiddo." My mom says, grabbing his arm. "All right, come with me." I follow them to a room where my mom sits Stiles down on a bed. "What have you been experiencing?" My mom asks softly.

"Blackouts. But not for that long." He says shakily. "And sleepwalking, which I used to do a lot as a kid. Um...Also having some really bad anxiety."

"Panic attacks?" I ask.

"Yeah, a couple. Oh, and I temporarily lost the ability to read. But that might have had more to do with this giant magic tree and a whole human sacrifice thing." Mom snickers as I crack a smile. 

"I recall something vaguely about that, yes." Mom responds. "How many hours of sleep are you getting?"

"Eight."