Chapter 37: What's Up With Stiles?

"It's eyes were glowing." Scott states as I continue to tend to Chris' head wound. 

"There was something almost ritualistic about it. Like it was looking right into his soul." Chris says.

"It's the same thing it did to me." Isaac states, watching my work. 

"That's what it did to everyone." Allison says worriedly. 

"Not everyone. It only went after the werewolves." Bobby says, glancing at Scott. 

"And Lydia." I add.

"Anyone with a connection to the supernatural." Chris agrees. 

"Then who was the guy they went after in Japan?" Isaac asks. 

"A kumicho. A yakuza boss. It was my first gun deal. I was only 18 and it was supposed to be a simple exchange. Except Gerard left out the minor detail of the buyers being yakuza. He wanted to see if I could adapt in the moment." Chris tells us. "Testing my ability to improvise."

"Or, the more likely option, he wanted to test your ability to survive." I add, sneering at the mention of Gerard. 

"The moment the sun went down it was like they just materialized out of the shadows. They had swords, not curved like katanas but straight, black steel. Like ninjatos."

"What did they want?" Scott asks. 

"To get to the kumicho." Chris answers. "They cut down any living thing in their way."

"Defiantly sounds like demons." I say, looking at Bobby.

"Did they mark him like they did us?" Isaac asks, touching the back of his ear. We learned that everyone the figures touched, they marked with a backwards five behind their ear. 

"Not exactly. His eyes turned white and rows of teeth appeared. The figures, they stabbed him with their swords."

"What was he?" Bobby asks.

"I don't know. But there might be someone who does. There are a few others that survived that night. One f them was a man named Katashi. They called him Silverfinger because of an unusual prosthetic. And it looked like he was getting ready to take them all on himself. I stood up and shot one of the figures." He sighs as I finish cleaning his wound. "I've known Katashi was in the country for a while. I spent yesterday tracking him down."

"Didn't look like he wanted to be found." Isaac points out. 

"Not particularly, no." Chris says.

"You think he knows what they are? Or what they want?" Scott asks. 

"Maybe."

"What if he doesn't want to talk?" Allison asks. 

"What if he doesn't even remember you?" Isaac asks. 

"He'll remember this." Chris stands up and walks over to a box. He unlocks it and lets us look inside. I step back, recognizing the mask of the creature. "I know I didn't kill it. I'm not sure you can. But I slowed it down long enough for us to get out of there."

"What was behind the mask?" I ask.

"Darkness. Absolute darkness." Chris sighs. 

"What if he still doesn't want to talk?" Allison asks.

"That's where you come in." He looks over at me.

"Sure, I mean, I'm defiantly not against a little torture..." I say, keeping a straight face. Everyone turns to me with different faces. Bobby looks angry and Scott looks astonished. Chris looks impressed and Allison and Isaac look scared. "I'm joking." I laugh, shaking my head. "I'll look in the lore about it. See what I can come up with."