Chapter 22: New Information

"The stock market is based on two principles. What are they?" Coach Finstock asks as he slams his textbook down. Both me and Scott raise our hands. "Yes, boy McCall, you can go to the bathroom."

"No, Coach, I know the answer." Scott says.

Coach starts to laugh as I say, "No, he's completely serious. He's been studying all summer."

"Yeah. It's risk and reward." Scott says. 

"Wow! Who are you and what did you do with McCall? Don't answer that, I like you better." Coach says, coming towards Scott. I snicker and Scott looks like a proud puppy. "Does anyone have a quarter?"

I dig into my purse for a quarter but Stiles beats me to it. As he brings his hand up, another thing falls out of his pocket: an XXL condom. "Stilinski, I think you dropped this. And congratulations." Coach says, giving the condom back. I look at Stiles with a proud face and I see that Scott is looking at him too.

"Shut up." Stiles mumbles, his cheeks turning red. 

"Risk and reward. Put the quarter in the mug, win the reward. Watch Coach." He puts a mug on the floor and blows on the quarter. He bounces the quarter on the ground and it lands in the cup. We all start to clap as he stands. "Huh? Huh? That's how you do it. Ok, Danny. Risk, reward." He asks, throwing the quarter to Danny. 

"What's the reward?" Danny asks.

"You don't have to take the pop quiz tomorrow." He says.

"Coach? It's not a pop quiz if you tell us about it." Danny says. 

"You know Danny? I really expected more from you at this point." Coach says, taking the quarter. "Girl McCall. Risk, reward. Risk, you have to take the pop-- the-the quiz tomorrow and write an essay. Risk, more work. Reward," He makes a fist and blows on it. He opens his hand and says, "No work at all. Or you choose not to play."

"But isn't this just chance?" I ask. 

"No, you know your abilities, your coordination, your focus, past experience-- all factors affecting the outcome."

"So, it's more probability?" I ask. "Taking into account your coordination, abilities and past tries, you can figure out the probability of what will happen. So, if I--" I say.

"What's it gonna be?" He asks, getting fed up with my math. "No work, more work or choose not to play?"

I quickly do the math, taking into account that people don't think I'm a strong, athletic person here. I look at the quarter and place it on my book. "No play." I say, leaning back in the chair. 

"Who's next? Who wants the quarter?" Coach says. Stiles smile grows as he drums his desk, getting up. "There you go! There's a gambling man! Come on! Step up, step up."

Stiles walks to the mug and prepares to throw. The door opens, but Stiles doesn't notice. His father and another officer walk in, "Stiles." His father says.

"Yeah, Coach, I got it." Stiles says, so focused on the task at hand that he doesn't notice his father. 

"Stiles." His father says again. Stiles looks up, the smile erased from his face. He walks out with his father as Danny steps up. 

Scott looks like he is concentrating on the cover of his textbook, but knowing he is a werewolf, I am guessing that he is listening to the conversation between Stiles and his dad. 

This isn't good... 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------