Chapter 16: The Death of the Kanima

I wake up in the hospital room alone. I quickly sit up and regret it. My side shoots pain up and down my body, so I lay back down. 

Scott runs in and hugs me. "Wow, Scott, I'm ok." I say, laughing while wincing in pain. 

"Why didn't you tell me?" He says, pulling away.

"It wasn't that bad..."

"Yes! It was!" Scott yells.

"Fine, Matt shot me and I stayed up until Derek left the room." I say, sarcastically. 

"If you were able to stay up until then, what made you fall?"

"Adrenaline." I say, looking away, not wanting to tell him that he used it.

"No, there's something else." He says, making me look into his eyes.

"When you grabbed Stiles, you bumped into me on the way out." I say and he starts to lose color. "When you bumped into me, it shifted the bullet into my spleen. It's not your fault though, I should have gotten the bullet out."

"No, it is my fault." He says.

"How's your bullet wound?" I ask, changing the subject. He tenses and I realize that the wound would have healed.

"I'm fine." Scott says. "Get some rest." He kisses my forehead and walks out of the room. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My mom helps me onto the bench as Stiles runs onto the field. "Oh, no." I hear the sheriff say. "What is my son doing gone the field?"

"Because he's on the team?" My mom answers. 

"He is." The sheriff says in realization. I look over and nod. "He's on the team. He's on the field. My son is one the field!" The sheriff stands and screams in happiness. He looks around at the weird looks and sits down. Out of the corner of my eye, I see Gerard moving his lips. I look over at Scott who is losing color in his face. 

I start to grow angry as Scott looks around. I feel a hand on my shoulder, and look to see Lydia. She gives me a big hug, distracting me from Scott and Gerard. "You're ok! I went to the hospital, but they wouldn't let me see you." Lydia squeals. 

"Yeah, I'm good now. I just wince once in a while." I say, laughing. I see Scott turn towards me with a horrified expression. I bunch of possibilities run through my mind. What if Gerard told him about my hunting? What if he threatened me to get to Scott? What the hell did Gerard say?!?!? 

The game starts and Stiles catches the ball. He smiles at nothing, but is knocked over by another player. I cringe back, along with his father, my mom and Lydia. "He's probably just warming up." I say hopefully. 

The ball lands right in front of him, but he can't pick it up. Two players run him over. "Maybe he's just a little nervous." Lydia suggests. "Plenty of time to turn it around."

Stiles is then hit in the head with the ball. I cringe again and look at Scott, who has been joined by another werewolf: Isaac Lahey. 

He goes onto the field and starts to knock our own players down. I suddenly realize what is happening: Gerard is going to kill someone, or Jackson is. Scott needs to get in the game to stop the kill. 

Suddenly, Jackson plows into Isaac, knocking him down. Scott runs to the field as they take Isaac away. My mother runs to Scott as I get a call. I see the caller ID and groan. "Lyd, tell my mom I needed some air." I say, scooting off the bleachers.