Blood On Their Hands

"Without change, something sleeps inside of us and seldom awakens, change jars something deep within, allowing us to grow..."

  ❤❤❤   

TARA POV

Surrounded by an abyss of darkness; the glimmer of a single white candle flickered in the distance. The light grew dimmer every moment as the wax melted down... Soon I'd be left in utter darkness. The sounds of sticks and leaves breaking, and crumbling under heavy footsteps quickly neared me, and my heart beats faster with every footstep. And then deafening silence.

"Show yourself!" My own voice echoes back at me.

The silence unnerved me, whatever it was twisted my stomach in a knot, threatening my sanity, willing its sinister force into me.

"Tara..."

I turn around and Eric is before me. His mouth was slightly open, baring his fangs. His sparkling sea-green eyes were like fire and ice, burning into my soul. He really had nothing human left about him after a few seconds. His lips drew away from his teeth, his fangs extended, and his body hunched and seemed to elongate.

At first, I didn't know what to make of the ragged breathing and then I realized it was me. The air was being pulled from my lungs by an unseen force. I'm trapped in another realm of existence, paralyzed by fear, unable to scream.

Helplessly, I'm forced to watch as a horde of spiders attack Eric, biting his eyes out, and devouring him, piece by piece. In a blink of an eye, my face is engulfed by hand-sized, eight-legged arachnids.

I jerked awake.

The sheets were ruined, soaked in my cold sweat. I sat up and immediately felt the bile rise from my gut. I dashed to the restroom just in time to throw up. After I brushed my teeth, I grabbed fresh linens from the closet and began turning down the bed.

Misty, my beloved domestic servant, emissary, and companion, loomed in the pale glow of the moonlit window. My emerald-eyed, 'familiar' appeared at my doorstep the day the twins were born and she's been by my side ever since.

Nora was not at all surprised by Misty's sudden arrival, she said only the most powerful witches have cats as their familiars. Cats were seen by the ancients as the most mystical, strong-willed, cunning - creatures of the night. They have always been honored as guardians of both worlds.

My idle musings are interrupted by the obscure, jumbled thoughts of two people. They are near, to my home...I think I'm being burglarized... What the...Who in the hell would break into Eric Northman's house?

I teleport into the twins' room and sigh in relief. Ruby is fast asleep in the rocking chair holding my sleeping angel-Jessica Mae to her bosom. Little Godric is sleeping in his crib, and Misty, who has the ability to teleport, gave me a reassuring purr as she is curled into a fluffy ball right beside him.

My aunt Ruby Jean moved in with us shortly after the children were born; she said Lettie Mae insisted on it. At times, Ruby serves as a conduit, allowing Lettie inside of her physical body, thus allowing my mom the ability to exist in the physical world, smelling, touching, and playing with the twins.

With the comfort of knowing my loved ones are safe, I teleport to where I estimate the noise is coming from, all the while I'm wondering who had the skill to break into Eric's impenetrable fortress.

I get my answer when I teleport into the study.

These are no regular burglars, if they were, they would've taken all the valuable electronics from the game room or den and bounced out by now. These two assholes are witch-hunters and they're trying to steal The Chimera of Isis. I can hear their hazy, brainwashed thoughts; their chanting- praising Absalom.