XLVI

"My nightmares are about you."

Kylo continued his hunt for Rey, hoping that he'd find her before he found his father. He knew Elara was on the move, looking for Bellamy and Jude who had somehow made their way back to the First Order. He felt their presence like no other, hoping that maybe he'd be able to see them, be reminded of the light.

How could he explain those two when he hardly knew them? He spent hours trying to pull out memories from Elara's head, wanting to know who they were. Bellamy looked so much like him it seemed unnatural. Her nose was slender, her brown raven hair mirrored his own while her dark eyes resembled both Elara and his. Jude however, looked more like Elara. His hair was lighter and as far as Kylo could tell, Jude was interested in flying ships. The only trait that could throw the galaxy off, was their freckles, spread out over their cheeks like a starry night.

Kylo took a sharp turn, walking into the exact spot of Han. Though he didn't know it yet, he could still feel his father's presence but couldn't bring himself to search for him. He was dragging himself to walk further, walking heavy steps towards a catwalk.

From his hiding place in a narrow power chamber in the wall, Han poked his head out. It was unbelievably terrible, he couldn't help but be torn with conflicted emotions. He hadn't seen his son in ages and to be near him alone was enough to make him shiver.

Han shifted his position in the tight compartment, trying to get a better look at his son. "My boy."

Kylo turned onto a flat bridge, the catwalk leading across the bisectors of open space. Maybe, just maybe, if he kept walking, he would forget that his father was so near. Though he was unaware of his father being right behind him, Kylo walked purposefully across to the opposite side.

Han watched his son walk off, tears brimming in his eyes. It was his only opportunity to escape but Leia's words echoed through his mind. He closed his eyes and grunted, making a decision to move out and follow his son.

Han stooped behind him, his head hanging high. "BEN!"

A glint of fear sparked in Kylo's aura. As the name echoed throughout his head, he turned to face Han. "Han Solo, I've been waiting for this day for a long time."

Finn, Rey, Bellamy and Jude had ran in unnoticed. They held back yells and screams, watching from a railing above. Bellamy watched in awe, she hadn't seen Kylo in weeks and to be honest, she missed him. Jude was one breath away from wailing, he wanted to be down there with Han.

"Take off that mask!" Han demanded. "You don't need it."

"What do you think you'll see if I do?" Kylo scoffed, though he was being ripped apart inside.

Han stood his guard. "The face of my son."

Kylo fought back his pained expression, taking off his mask. He revealed the same grim expression he was famous for, causing Han to jolt back.

Seven years.

Han hadn't seen the face of his son in seven years. He wasn't a boy anymore, he was a man, a father...

"Your son is gone. He was weak and foolish, like his father. So I destroyed him." Kylo declared, still oblivious to his children watching from afar.

"That's what Snoke wants you to believe but it's not true. My son is alive!" Han tried to convince him, still shell-shocked at the growth of his son.

From several levels below, Chewie and Elara came to the rail to watch. A large lump grew in Elara's throat and her skin became sweaty. She covered herself with her cloak and soundlessly jumped to the next level and then the next, trying to make it to the catwalk before it was too late.

"No." Kylo seethed. "The Supreme Leader is wise."

"Snoke is using you for your power. When he gets what he wants, he'll crush you, you know it's true." Han pleaded. "What does he think of Elara and your children Ben? He will kill them if you do not do what he says!"

The worst part is Kylo knew, somehow he knew.

"It's too late." Kylo whispered breathlessly.

"No it's not. Leave here with me. Come home. We miss you!" Han explained, trying his luck. "Your children need a father, Elara needs a husband..."

For the first time, Kylo's emotions could be clearly seen in his stoic eyes. This is when he saw Elara jumping down from a few levels higher than where he and Han stood.

He was utterly conflicted.

"I'm being torn apart. I want to be free of this pain."

Han took a small step towards Kylo but stopped himself, too concerned to notice Elara's nearing presence.

"I know what I have to do, but I don't
know if I have the strength to do it." In his weakening mind, he saw a flash of Bellamy, Elara and Jude dead because he couldn't do what Snoke told him to do. "Will you help me?"

When Han heard his son's voice again, pained and vulnerable, he responded. "Yes. Anything."

Kylo unhooked his lightsaber and slowly extended it towards Han, within a foot of Han's chest. Han couldn't believe it and Elara knew it was too good to be true. The moment seemed to last forever and just then, the last beam of sunlight disappeared and Starkiller base is charged. Han actually smiled and reached out for the dark weapon but with the light now gone, Kylo's eyes filled with darkness.

"Han!" Elara screamed, causing Kylo to break from his trance.

Kylo's lightsaber was suddenly ignited and the red, fiery blade shot out, right through Han's chest.

Kylo looked at Han painfully. "Thank you."

A terrible yell erupted from upstairs, Bellamy had begun to cry and Jude was close to doing the same, too traumatized to move. Finn gasped, mouthing the word 'Solo' and Rey screamed.

Elara panted, toppling over and crying. "How could you?"

Han's last moment was looking at Kylo. He pressed his hand on his son's face and tried his best to take in every feature of Ben Solo. Han's knees began to buckle and the blade tilted him downwards. Kylo extinguished his saber and Han slipped away, falling off the catwalk.

Horrified, Kylo realized what he had just done. He looked over at Elara, begging for her to understand, but she looked at him with fear. He had somehow become even more weakened by the wicked act. He had killed every last remaining part of Ben Solo that ever lived inside of him.

His shock was only broken when Chewbacca furiously fired at him, crying out in agony. Kylo fell backwards, letting out a pained yell.

Apart from Han dying, Elara got to her feet. "Kylo!" She screamed. "Chewie! Stop! Stop! No more of this!" She wrapped her arm around Kylo, who was hyperventilating.

Just before he was about to speak, Finn, Rey, Bellamy and Jude took off into the night, fleeing from the command shuttle.

"I killed him." Kylo winced. "I killed my father."

Too overcome with emotions, Elara said nothing.

"Snoke said he'd kill you." Kylo whimpered. "He'd destroy Bellamy and Jude."

"Ben-"

"Ben is dead." Kylo blinked. "I have to kill them to," He cringed, meaning Finn and Rey. "I can't let you die the way my grandmother did!"

"You're wounded!" Elara stopped him. "Severely."

Kylo shook his head, going completely mad. "You don't understand, I can't lose you!"

A heavy cry escaped her lips. "I won't let you kill them."

"I'm sorry." Kylo whispered, bringing his hand up to Elara's forehead. Her eyes rolled into the back of her head and she slumped against him. "I will finish this."