22. End

Disclaimer: I do not own The Maze Runner Series, any characters(besides my own), or any of the ideas. All rights belong to James Dashner.

Fair warning: This chapter will have a few quotes from the book. I'm sorry, please don't sue me!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I ignored everything going on around me as Gally and I locked eyes. I didn't dare look away even for a second, afraid that if I did, he would disappear again. I immediately noticed something off with him, worse than before. I slowly got to my feet and took a few steps forward, my eyes finally drifting from Gally to the unknown woman in front of me. I shot her a look that could kill as my hands began to shake with fury.

"What did you do to him?!"

She tried to play coy, but I wasn't having any of it.

"Whatever do you mean, Ms. Barton?"

"Quit your klunk, lady! I know Gally better than anyone else! Did you actually think I wouldn't notice something off with him?! What. Did. You. Do."

She ignored me and began talking again.

"There is, of course, one final Variable."

She stepped back and I stepped forward, ready to attack her if I had to. My eyes locked on Gally as his body began to tremble. His bloodshot eyes stood out against the pasty white skin on his face and I watched as his lips pressed together, the skin around them twitching as if he was trying to speak but couldn't. My nails dug into my palms as I watched with pure rage bubbling up inside me, desperately trying to escape. Thomas called Gally's name to try to coax him into telling him what was wrong. Gally struggled with each word that left his mouth, causing my insides to burn with hatred for these people.

"They...can control me...I don't-"

His hand shot to his throat as if he were being choked and it took every ounce of willpower I had not to attack this woman right then and there.

"I...have...to..."

He finally stilled and let his body relax and I kept my guard up, knife in hand, ready for anything. Before I knew what had happened, Gally had thrown a dagger at Thomas and Chuck jumped in front of it. I watched with sickening horror as the knife embedded itself into Chuck's chest. He made a gurgling noise and hit the floor, blood pouring freely from his wound. It was then that I knew he was going to die. They made Gally try to kill Thomas and it ended up killing Chuck instead. My Chuck, my Glade brother, was bleeding out right in front of me, twitching uncontrollably, tears streaming from his widened eyes and down his sweet, pudgy face. That was when I lost it. I flung myself at the woman, tackling her to the ground as I screamed in fury and agony, spittle flying from my mouth.

I haphazardly slashed at the woman as she struggled to get me off her, my eyes too blurry to see well because of the never ending stream of tears falling down my face. Somewhere to my side, Thomas was beating poor Gally to death, but I didn't have the sanity to stop him at the moment. I was too focused on trying to exterminate the whole problem.

"You evil shuck-faced bitch! I'll kill you!"

I dropped the knife with a clatter as sobs racked my small frame and I desperately punched at her with what little strength I had left. After all my efforts, the only thing I managed to do was slice her cheek and bust her lip. She finally pushed me off her and I crawled to Chuck, pulling his lifeless body into my arms and broke down. I screamed and cried and begged for him to wake up, but all my efforts were in vain. Chuck was gone. Dead. I screamed in agony and clutched him to my chest, letting my tears soak his curly hair. An inexplicable pain worked it's way through my entire body as I held Chuck tightly against me. I swore to protect him and I couldn't even do that much.