12. I Knew This Was A Bad Idea

Disclaimer: I do not own The Maze Runner Series, any characters(besides my own), or any of the ideas. All rights belong to James Dashner.

Fair warning: This chapter will have a few quotes from the book. I'm sorry, please don't sue me!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Newt woke me up early in the morning, before anyone else had even gotten up. I rubbed the sleep from my eyes and stared at him, somewhat irritated. He rolled his eyes and pulled me out of bed before quickly turning around so I could get dressed. I pulled on my black sweater and my pants before working on tying my boots.

"Why did you get me up so early, Newt?"

"I need to bloody show you something, Clara."

He had been pretty upset ever since I talked Alby into letting me come with him and Minho to check out the dead griever. I rolled my eyes and stood up, letting him grab my hand and lead me outside. He practically dragged me to a spot at the wall, covered in thick ivy. He gave me a hard look, his jaw clenching as he seperated the ivy, revealing a grimy window. I blinked, now completely confused. He sighed loudly and turned my head to face the window.

"Just bloody watch."

We waited for around ten minuted before I finally became impatient.

"What am I even-"

"Clara! Watch."

I huffed and crossed my arms over my chest, leaning in as I peered into the small window. Finally, I saw exactly what he wanted to show me. A hideous beast came into view with metallic legs and spikes protruding from it's slimy flesh. It kind of reminded me of a slug. I gasped and fell back, landing on my butt with a hard 'thud'. Newt let the ivy fall back into place and kneeled beside me, staring straight into my eyes.

"Now do you see why I don't want you to go out there?"

"What was that thing?"

"A bloody griever, Clara, that's what. We normally show all the Greenies this so that they don't try to run off into the maze, but we didn't think we'd have to show you since you didn't give us that many problems. Didn't bloody show Chucky, either."

"Do you really think that's gonna stop me from going out there today?"

Newt's eyes widened in surprise. Guess you weren't expecting that, huh?

"But, Clara! If one of those bloody things attacks you-"

"Newt! Look, I have to, okay? I have a bad feeling about all this, but I can't just let Alby and Minho go out there alone! I tried to talk them out of it, but they wouldn't listen! So what else am I supposed to do?"

"That's even more bloody reason not to-"

"Enough! I'm going. End of discussion, I'm sorry."

I pulled myself off the ground and walked away just as the Doors opened for the day. I met up with Minho and together we went to go get runner gear for me. When he tried to hand me the underwear they wore, I burst into laughter, causing him to look at me as if I had gone mad.

"You don't actually think I need those, do you?"

Before he could say anything, Alby walked up. He already had his runner gear on. I pulled the pack Minho gave me on and fastened it, nodding to show I was ready to head out. We went to the Kitchen and Frypan handed us two sandwiches and an apple each. I put them in my pack and together we headed to the entrance. A crowd of Gladers ran up just as we were about to walk in. I scanned the crowd for a familiar face, only seeing Gally. Guess Newt and the others didn't want to see me off.