11. Banished

Disclaimer: I do not own The Maze Runner Series, any characters(besides my own), or any of the ideas. All rights belong to James Dashner.

Fair warning: This chapter will have a few quotes from the book. I'm sorry, please don't sue me!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I pulled myself off the ground, yawning as I stretched my aching limbs. I miss my bed. A blanket fell off my body as I stood up, gently floating to the ground as I stared at it. Who put a blanket on me last night? Most likely Chuck or Newt. I gently picked the blanket up and folded it before making my way to the Homestead. I caught up with Clint just as he was about to make his way inside.

"Hey, Clint! Can you put this in my room for me?"

"Sure."

He took the blanket from my hands and waved before walking inside, most likely to check on Ben. I smiled to myself as I turned and spotted Chuck and Thomas sitting at a picnic table nearby. I quickly made my way over and took a seat across from them. Thomas didn't even glance up as he picked at his bacon and eggs. Chuck, however, seemed to light up as soon as I sat down. A big grin spread across his face, making me giggle.

"Good morning, Chucky. What's up with him? I can just see those gears turning in that small brain of his."

That comment earned me a loud giggle from Chuck, but Thomas didn't even flinch. I stared at him for a moment before standing up to go get the day started.

"Thomas, I know you can hear me. Stop looking so down all the time. It's annoying."

He finally glanced at me and gave a small, barely visible smile. I grinned proudly and waved before turning to walk off. I didn't make it very far when I heard a loud, shrill shriek echo from behind me. Chuck. I spun on my heel, sprinting back to the picnic table as fast as my legs would carry me. I got there within seconds, seeing as how I didn't get very far to begin with. I watched as Alby let go of Chuck's ear and a surge of irritation burst inside me.

"Ain't you got a job, slinthead? Lots of sloppin' to do?"

I walked up and stood right in front of Alby, my expression unreadable.

"Hey, Alby. I got somethin' to tell you before you take the Greenie on the tour."

An irritated look crossed his features, making me smirk internally.

"Can't it wait, Clara? You didn't hardly do anything yesterday, anyway. Keep it up and I'll throw you off the Cliff. Get to work!"

In one swift motion, I had Alby by the ear, twisting it as hard as I could manage. He let out a yelp as his hand flew up and he tried to pry my hand away. I smirked in satisfaction as I finally let go. A quick glance at Thomas showed that he was amused by my antics as well.

"Sure thing, Alby. I'll get right on that. But, leader or not, I'm not going to put up with you being mean to Chucky here. So slim it, or next time I'll pull your ear right off your head. Come on, Chuck. Let's get to work."

Before Alby could say or do anything in retaliation, I grabbed Chuck's hand and dragged him off to where the other Sloppers were. I wanted to get done cleaning as fast as possible today, so I split the Sloppers up and had them start working at different parts of the Glade. Chuck stayed with me and together, we walked to the kitchen to get started on the dishes. I decided to make small talk as the sink began to fill up with soapy water.

"So, Chuck. What's up with the Newbie? He seemed a little off earlier."

"Dunno. He said some pretty weird stuff last night, though."