19. Confessions

Disclaimer: I do not own The Maze Runner Series, any characters(besides my own), or any of the ideas. All rights belong to James Dashner.

Fair warning: This chapter will have a few quotes from the book. I'm sorry, please don't sue me!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Alby shot from his chair and began to accuse Thomas of trying to trick us and get us all killed. I sprang from my chair, anger mixing with my already present fear.

"Alby, enough! Thomas has no reason to trick us! He's trying to survive just like the rest of us! I know you're scared to leave the Maze because of whatever you saw in the shuck Changing, but this has got to stop! I will not sit by and watch you let your fear kill us all!"

Alby was silent for a moment, anger causing his veins to bulge out. Finally, he looked at me and spoke.

"We can't go back! I've seen what out lives were like- we can't go back!"

Newt finally spoke up, completely flabbergasted by Alby's antics.

"Is that what this is about? Are you kidding?"

Alby got angry for a moment before sinking into his chair, sobbing as he rested his face in his hands. It took me completely by surprise to see him break down like that. I honestly didn't even think Alby was capable of crying. My anger for the older boy quickly turned into concern as Newt spoke to him.

"Alby, talk to us. What's going on?"

"Clara was right! I did it...! I..did it."

The last part of his sentence faded into a whisper as he sobbed. As soon as he spoke, I understood exactly what he was talking about. Newt, on the other hand, was as oblivious as ever.

"Did what?"

Alby looked straight at Newt, tears staining his cheeks. The look on his face pulled at my heart strings and made me want to go comfort him, but I stayed rooted in my seat instead.

"I burned the Maps. I did it. I slammed my head on the table so you'd think it was someone else, I lied, burned it all. I did it!"

Minho spoke up, sarcasm dripping from his tongue at the end of his sentence, making me feel bad for Alby.

"Well, it's a good thing we saved those Map. Thanks for the tip you gave us after the Changing- to protect them."

Newt asked him to explain himself and I listened intently to try to understand what was so bad about going back.

"I'm telling you. We can't go back to where we came from. I've seen it, remembered awful things. Burned land, a disease- something called the Flare. It was horrible- way worse than we have it here."

A quiet gasp escaped my lips at his explanation. The memory of Noah telling me 'Claire' wasn't a good nickname for me ran through my head. He had said that Claire sounded too much like Flare. Is this disease what he was talking about? My two strange dreams rushed through my mind and I bit my lip. Was that more than a dream..?

I tried to wrap my mind around the information, but I couldn't get past those dreams. I hadn't thought about them since I had them, so why were they now stuck in my head? Did those people have this disease Alby is talking about? My head began to ache from all the unanswered questions and I decided to tune back into the conversation to give my mind a break.

"Man, you are one butt-load of sunshine, let me tell you. I'm with Thomas. I'm with Thomas one hundred percent. If we're gonna die, let's freakin' do it fighting."

A newfound rush of bravery coursed through my veins and I finally piped back up, steeling my resolve.

"I'm with Thomas too. I'd rather die fighting than stay in this Maze to get picked off one by one."

Alby stood from his chair, defeat and despair etched in his features.

"Do what you want. Doesn't matter. We'll die no matter what."

Alby stood and left the room. Everyone was silent for a moment before Thomas told us the rest of his plan.

"It doesn't do the Creators any good if we all die- this thing is meant to be hard, not impossible. I think we finally know for sure that the Grievers are programmed to only kill one of us each day. So somebody can sacrifice himself to save the others while we run to the Hole. I think this might be how it's supposed to happen."

Winston barked out a loud laugh at Thomas' idea.

"So your suggestion is that we throw some poor kid to the wolves so the rest of us can escape? This is your brilliant suggestion?"

"Yes, Winston, I'm glad you're so good at paying attention..and it seems ovious who the poor kid should be."

I smirked at Thomas' sarcastic remark. He was learning a lot more from Minho than just running the Maze. Curiosity got the better of Winston and he finally asked.

"Oh, yeah? Who?"

"Me."

Everyone erupted into a chorus of chaos and arguments, each person talking over the other as they tried to make their point heard. Newt calmly stood and proceeded to kick Thomas out, explaining that the Keepers needed to talk and figure out what to do without him there. Newt was outside for a moment, I assumed arguing with Thomas about leaving the Gathering, before walking back in and sitting down. He shot me a look as if to say he needed my help with this next part. I gave a small nod of compliance before he spoke.

"I say we should try Tommy's idea. It's the only chance we have at escaping."

Winston opened his mouth to argue but I quickly cut him off, stealing a glance at Minho to show him I'd need his help as well.

"We might as well just do it. Everything's shut down in the Glade, supplies aren't coming, and the Grievers come every single night."

Minho piped up, as sarcastic as ever.

"Nahh, we should totally listen to Winston and just wait to die. That sounds fun, right?"

I piped up again, contributing to Minho's comment as I leaned back in my chair.

"You're right. That sounds so much better than possibly getting out of this klunk-hole. Let's just sit around like the cowards we are and wait to be picked off one by one and have Gally, Adam, and Dave's deaths mean absolutely nothing."

Winston and the other keepers looked at me for a long moment before finally sighing.

"Fine. Let's do it."

Newt looked around the room.

"Is everyone in agreement?"

Everyone nodded one by one, except Frypan, even if they were a bit unsure. Frypan and I stared at each other for a long moment before he finally gave up and nodded as well.

"Good that. We leave tonight."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A/N: Three more chapters then it's over! It's kind of bittersweet. I don't know whether to be sad or happy. Well, enough of that. Let me know what you think! Love you guys!

Vote and comment <3