6. Attempted Murder And The Wooden Figurine

Disclaimer: I do not own the Maze Runner, or any of the ideas or characters. Everything besides Clara and Noah belong to the wonderfully talented writer, James Dashner.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

After I had taken Chuck to the showers for him to get cleaned up, we made our way over to Alby. Chuck seemed frightened, hiding halfway behind me as Alby spoke to him.

"Hey, Greenie. Welcome to the Glade. Glad you finally got the klunk cleaned off. You were starting to stink up the whole shuck Glade."

Alby laughed as I shot him a warning look. I glanced down at Chuck to see him staring at his feet, a light blush splayed across his cheeks.

"I'm just messing with ya, Greenie. Clara will get you a sleeping bag from the Homestead and show you where to put it."

Alby turned his attention to me.

"Good that?"

"Good that, Alby. I'll show him around."

"Remember, Clara-"

I quickly cut him off, repeating the words he drilled into my head when I first arrived.

"No questions until the tour. I got it, Alby. I promise."

He laughed a bit, shaking his head in amusement as he walked off. I took Chuck's hand in mine and walked to the Homestead, gently pulling him inside. Then, I searched through the supplies and pulled out a sleeping bag, handing it to him with a smile.

"Normally, the boys sleep outside in the grass. I guess it's pretty comfortable there, but I wouldn't really know."

"Why not?"

"Well, I sleep in the Homestead. Alby's orders."

"Oh..so, where are the rest of the girls? I haven't seen any besides you.."

"Well, that's because I'm the only one."

Chucks eyes widened as he looked at me, surprise clearly showing on his face. He looked like he wanted to say something, but decided against it. I took him to where the boys sleep, helping him find a spot to put his sleeping bag. It was around lunchtime now, so I pulled him toward the kitchen, introducing him to Frypan as we grabbed our food. We talked and laughed as I told him stories about me messing with Gally.

Chuck and I hung out until it was time to go to bed. I walked him to his sleeping bag, telling him goodnight as I walked off to the Homestead to get some rest myself.

-----------------

It was a seemingly normal morning in the Glade as I sat underneath a tree at the Deadheads, watching as the boys hustled around the Glade like little worker ants. Chuck was with Alby on the tour, so I didn't really have anyone to hang out with. I would have went and bothered Newt or Gally, but they were busy so I decided against it. Bark hadn't even came over to give me company. I sighed, resting my head against the tree as I closed my eyes.

Five minutes later, I heard someone walk up. I peeled my eyes open, staring straight at the boy standing in front of me. Noah. Before I even had a chance to speak, he held out a hand to help me up. I took it, allowing him to gently pull me off the ground.

"Can we talk..?"

I blinked a few times, my face scrunching up in confusion. He stared at me expectantly, an unreadable expression on his face. I sighed lightly, nodding. He didn't let go of my hand as he began to lead me into the Deadheads. A bad feeling worked it's way into my insides, twisting them uncomfortably. I pushed the feeling to the side, more curious about what Noah wanted to talk about.