14. As If Things Weren't Bad Enough

Disclaimer: I do not own The Maze Runner Series, any characters(besides my own), or any of the ideas. All rights belong to James Dashner.

Fair warning: This chapter will have a few quotes from the book. I'm sorry, please don't sue me!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I felt a swift kick to my leg and my eyes quickly shot open, widening at the scene I was greeted with. My heart began to pound against my rib cage as I looked up at the gray, hazy sky. The sun was gone, no where to be found and panic rose to my throat. Shouts could be heard throughout the Glade. At least I'm not the only one panicking. I quickly locked eyes with Thomas, my eyes still wide with horror.

"What the klunk happened to the sky?"

"I don't know. Just get up and come with me."

I nodded and quickly rose to my feet, grabbing Thomas' hand and following him to the Box where mostly everyone else was. I don't know why I grabbed his hand, but it made me feel better. I glanced at the watch on my wrist, realizing that it was well past time for breakfast to be served and work to start. I suppose everyone is too preoccupied with the sun just vanishing out of the sky like it had never even been there in the first place. I narrowed my eyes at the thought as I felt something click into place inside my head. I stared up at the sky for a long time before I noticed Chuck walk up. He looked absolutely terrified as tremors wracked his pudgy frame.

"What do you think happened? Looks like a big gray ceiling. Close enough you could almost touch it."

I let go of Thomas' hand and quickly wrapped my arms around the younger boy. I smiled gently as I felt his tense muscles relax. I ruffled his hair once I let go before turning my attention back to the scene above me.

"You're a smart kid, you know that?"

Thomas observed us for a moment before finally speaking.

"Makes you wonder about this place, huh? Maybe something's broken. I mean, maybe it'll be back."

Chuck tore his eyes away from the sky and focused his attention on Thomas.

"Broken? What's that supposed to mean?"

Thomas seemed to be lost in a daze, so I decided to answer the boy instead.

"I have no idea what he is going on about. But, my best guess is that the sun won't be coming back anytime soon, if ever."

A soft sigh escaped my lips as I finally turned my full attention to Thomas, who was still lost in a daze. I waved my hand in front of his face.

"Tommy? What's goin' on in that thick skull of yours?"

He finally snapped out of it and looked me in the eyes.

"Huh? Oh, nothing. But, I'm sure Alby and Newt will figure out what's going on."

I nodded as I spotted Minho running up.

"Thomas! Quit your leisure time with Chucky and Clara here and let's get going. We're already late."

I blinked in surprise. Chuck opened his mouth and asked the same question that was running through my mind.

"You're still going out there?"

"Of course we are, shank. Don't you two have some sloppin' to do? If anything, it gives us even more reason to get our butts out there. If the sun's really gone it won't be long before plants and animals drop dead too. I think the desperation level just went up a notch."