18. Decisions

Disclaimer: I do not own The Maze Runner Series, any characters(besides my own), or any of the ideas. All rights belong to James Dashner.

Fair warning: This chapter will have a few quotes from the book. I'm sorry, please don't sue me!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

An hour later, we were in the meeting room, Thomas right in the middle. We decided not to let Teresa in, since some of the other Keepers still had their doubts about her. Alby sat in his usual seat and Thomas was seated in the same seat as the last Gathering. I couldn't help but stare at Zart and Gally's two empty seats, my lip quivering as I tried to compose myself. I turned my attention back to Thomas. He was struggling trying to explain himself.

"Let me start over. Every single one of us was taken when we were really young. Well, besides Clara. But, that's off topic. I don't remember how or why- just glimpses and feelings that things had changed in the world, that something really bad happened. I have no idea what. The Creators stole us, and I think they felt justified in doing it. Somehow they figured out that we have above-average intelligence, and that's why they chose us. I don't know, most of this is sketchy and doesn't matter that much anyway."

He paused, sucking in a deep breath before continuing.

"I can't remember anything about my family or what happened to them. But after we were taken, we spent the next few years learning in special schools, living somewhat normal lives until they were finally able to finance and build the Maze. All our names are just stupid nicknames they made up- like Alby for Albert Einstein, Newt for Isaac Newton, Clara for Clara Barton, and me- Thomas. As in Edison."

I immediately thought about Zart, Gally, Chuck, and even Leo. Zart for Mozart, Chuck for...Charles Darwin, maybe? And Leo...for Leonardo Da'Vinci. My blood boiled as I thought about it. They didn't even let us keep our real names. Alby looked like he had just been backhanded.

"Our names...these ain't even our real names?"

Thomas sadly shook his head, a sympathetic look on his face.

"As far as I can tell, we'll probably never know what our names were."

This time Frypan spoke up, clearly upset.

"What are you saying? That we're freakin' orphans raised by scientists?"

"Yes. Supposedly we're really smart and they're studying every move we make, analyzing us. Seeing who'd give up and who wouldn't. Seeing who'd survive it all. No wonder we have so many beetle blade spies running around this place. Plus, some of us have had things...altered in our brains."

Winston began to grumble, clearly in a bad mood.

"I believe this klunk about as much as I believe Frypan's food is good for you."

I snapped at Winston, irritated with him.

"Slim it, Winston! Why would he make it up?!"

Alby spoke, immediately silencing me.

"Just keep talking. But I don't get why none of us remembered this stuff. I've been through the Changing, but everything I saw was...I didn't learn nothin'."

I listened as Thomas explained in greater detail why we were sent into the Maze and what the Creators' plan was. I tried my best to listen and process everything but it was a lot to take in. Eventually he got to his magical escape plan and I forced myself to listen intently as he explained. He brought up the code and mentioned how he'd been there when the Creators did it. I already knew he worked for them, but everyone else seemed extremely shocked.

He hastily tried to explain his and Teresa's involvement and how it was against their wills and the room stayed dead silent, the tension in the air palpable. Thomas then explained that he and Teresa helped create the Maze and that they could speak telepathically. I bit my lip as I waited to see what everyone would say or do. I shifted in my seat uncomfortably, my eyes glued on Thomas. I tore my eyes from Thomas and looked around, noticing everyone staring blankly at Thomas as if they didn't know how to take the new information. Minho was the only one smiling. Seeing his smile made me smile as well as I returned my gaze to Tommy.

"It's true and I'm sorry. But I can tell you this- I'm in the same boat with you now. Teresa and I were sent here just like anyone else, and we can die just as easily. But the Creators have seen enough- it's time for the final test. I guess I needed the Changing to add the final pieces of the puzzle. Anyway, I wanted you to know the truth, to know there's a chance we can do this."

Newt stared at the ground, shaking his head from side to side before looking up at the other Keepers, taking them in before his eyes rested on me.

"The Creators- those shanks did this to us, not Tommy and Teresa. The Creators. And they'll be sorry."

Tears began to prick at the corners of my eyes at his words. Everything was starting to make sense now. Everything that had happened to me up until now was the Creators testing me. Anger settled in the pit of my stomach as I thought back to Noah attacking me, Ben, being stuck in the Maze and almost dying, Gally losing his mind and then sacrificing himself. It was all their fault. I clenched my fists, my knuckles turning white.

"When I finally see them...they're dead. I swear it."

Everyone glanced at me sympathetically before turning their attention back to Thomas. Minho finally spoke.

"Whatever. Who gives a klunk about all that- just get on with the escape already."

Thomas took a moment to compose himself before speaking.

"There's a computer station in a place we've never looked before. The code will open a door for us to get out of the Maze. It also shuts down the Grievers so they can't follow us- if we can just survive long enough to get to that point."

Alby looked at him, incredulous.

"A place we've never looked before? What do you think we've been doing for two years?"

A bad feeling worked it's way into the pit of my stomach and I desperately hoped Thomas wasn't talking about the place I thought he was talking about.

"It's almost suicide. The Grievers will come after us whenever we do try to do it. All of them. The final test."

I tried to slow my breathing and keep myself calm. Thomas was basically saying that our chances of surviving were slim to none.

"So where is it?"

I waited, dreading the answer I already knew was coming.

"Over the Cliff. We have to go through the Griever Hole."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A/N: This will be the last one posted tonight. Two more will be posted tomorrow and then the day after I'll post the last two. Be waiting for them! Please let me know what you think! :)

Vote and comment <3