1. Welcome To The Glade

Disclaimer: All characters and Ideas(Besides mine) belong to the brilliant James Dashner.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I woke with a start, immediately coughing up water that seemed to be trapped in my lungs. I looked around, squinting to see past the darkness. I was in some kind of box and it was moving..like an elevator. I shook my head, wondering how I remembered that word. I searched through my mind, trying to grasp any memory that might be there. There was none; I couldn't even remember my name.

I sat on the cold floor, pulling my knees to my chest and burying my face in them. Tears began to leak from my eyes and slowly stream down my cheeks. Why can't I remember anything? Where am I? Am I going to...die? Immediately pushing that last thought from my mind, I felt the box jerk to a halt.

My body began to shake as I pulled my knees tighter to my chest in a futile effort to make myself less noticeable. A noise jolted my brain, making me focus all my attention on what was going on around me. It sounded like the box was being opened. I peeked out of my hiding spot in the corner of the box to see a bright light overcome the darkness that was previously present, blinding me. I shut my eyes quickly as tremors wracked my frame. I could hear people talking amongst themselves and I strained my ears to listen.

"Wonder who we got this time."

"Betcha it'll be a slopper."

"Hopefully he won't be as pathetic as the last one."

"Who is it?!"

I shivered, now more confused than ever about my situation. I heard a thump close to me and realized that someone had jumped into the box not even a foot from where I was hiding. I gripped my legs tightly, hoping more than anything that they wouldn't notice me. I obviously didn't have much luck because not even a second later I felt a presence right in front of me.

"Hey, Greenie. Quit your blubbering and look at me."

The voice belonged to a boy. I didn't move for a moment, but when I felt a light punch to my shoulder I finally gave up. My eyes met with a boy who was inches from my face, staring at me intently. The first thing I noticed about him were his...eyebrows? I shook my head quickly, wondering why that was the first thing I managed to notice about this strange boy. As soon as he got a good look at me, he let out a small gasp and fell back onto the floor, completely bewildered. That confused me even more, almost overcoming my utter terror at the situation I was in.

"Gally, what do you see?"

"He looks like he's just seen a ghost!"

"So, who is the poor shank?!"

The boy looked at me for a moment, as if to make sure his eyes weren't deceiving him. Then, he slowly turned his head to look up at the other boys I presumed were standing around the entrance to this box. With a shaky voice, he slowly replied, stuttering a bit as he did so.

"I-It's...It's a...girl..."

The last word came out as nothing more than a whisper as he averted his gaze back to me. I gripped my legs tighter, my knuckles turning white as all my fear and anxiety came rushing back. Are these people going to hurt me...or worse? I flinched as another boy jumped into the box, extremely close to where I was sitting. I scrambled away from both of them, pushing myself into the wall I was leaning against as if I could will myself to go right through it to get away from them. The other boy knelt in front of me, examining me closely as he stared into my eyes. The first things I noticed about this one were his square jaw and his deep brown orbs.