4. Stung

Disclaimer: As everyone already knows, I do not own the Maze Runner or any of the characters besides my own. All rights respectively belong to the amazing James Dashner.

A/N: I would like to personally dedicate this chapter to goingtocamphalfblood! She's in the process of making a cover for this story and I'm really excited about it! Also, if you haven't checked out her stories yet, you really should. :)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Today was the day Alby would finally tell me which job I was going to do. The last two weeks trying out all the jobs had left me worn and exhausted. I actually liked most of the jobs and I did pretty well with all of them, well except for the slicers. I shuddered, thinking back to that day.

**Flashback**

I looked around, my eyes stopping on Winston, the Keeper of the Slicers. My stomach churned violently as nausea overwhelmed all of my senses. I watched with disgust as he began to chop up a pig he had just killed. The gleam in his eyes and the hint of a smile on his face almost made me lose the contents in my stomach. He was enjoying this too much. Finally, as if just realizing I was here, he turned and pointed his bloody knife in my direction, speaking for the first time since I had got there.

"Well, come on Greenie. You'll never know if you're good at it until you try."

"Do I..have to?"

"What do you think?"

With a heavy sigh, I steeled myself and walked over. I picked up a knife that was laying around and stared at it as the blade glinted in the dim light. I stared down at the already mutilated pig, my hands beginning to shake. I brought the knife closer to it's body, gently cutting at it's belly. Blood spurted out of the wound, landing on my face in little drops.

 I gasped as the world began to spin all around me. I gulped, trying to calm myself to no avail. The metallic scent of blood invading my nostrils wasn't helping, either. Before I knew it, the ground came rushing toward me and everything went black as my head collided with the hard floor with a sickening crack.

**End Flashback**

My stomach began to churn and I shook my head, trying to rid my mind of that horrible image. I could still almost smell all the blood. I slid down the tree I was near, my hand clutching my stomach as I shut my eyes tightly in an attempt to drown out the nauseous feeling overcoming my body. Once I calmed myself down, I opened my eyes, staring into the distance at nothing in particular.

 Believe it or not, I actually kind of want to be a slopper..not because I don't like any of the other jobs, but because I like to help the boys out and clean up after them. It makes me happy to know that I'm of some use to them. If I get an additional job, I'd like to be a cook or a med-jack, or both if they'll let me. It's alot of work, but it keeps my mind focused on our life in the Glade instead of the fact that I'm startin' to believe we will never escape this shuck maze.

A sigh escaped my lips and I let my mind wander, becoming lost in my own little world. Almost ten minutes later, I was abruptly pulled from my thoughts by the sounds of arguing and shouting near the kitchen. I blinked, straining my ears to listen.

"You think you're better than everyone else just because you've went through the shuck Changing! You're nothing!"

"I don't think I'm better than everyone else! Just you, shuck face! But if I was the leader we'd be doing a lot better than we are now! Alby is a shuck joke, just like you!"