Chapter 28

--- 28 ---

*Arianna Lancaster*

“Father.” Chase breathed, disgruntled by the sudden appearance of Mr. Lancaster in our kitchen.

I flushed as his gaze momentarily swept from Chase’s face to mine.

He cleared his throat. “Sorry to intrude like this.” He gave an apologetic look and I swear I saw a minuet flicker of embarrassment in his cold gray eyes.

“’S no problem.” I mumbled; mortified. This was the last thing I’d ever wanted. Get caught by the father-in-law.

“Since you couldn’t come…” he looked at Chase who had his eyes narrowed at him; dangerously. “…I thought I might as well come visit you.”

I turned my head towards Chase. What did he mean Chase couldn’t come? Didn’t they just meet yesterday? Or they didn’t.

“I’ve been busy Father.” Chase said curtly, glaring at his dad, with me glaring at him.

He lied!

“Well, I hope you weren’t leaving for anything…?” his dad looked at him questioningly.

“Yes we were.” “No we weren’t.” Chase and I said at the same moment.

The air thickened around us. Chase, watching his father deleteriously turned to me raising his eyebrow.

“No we weren’t Mr. Lancaster.” I announced, rolling my eyes at Chase.

“Please, it’s Carlos.” He smiled insistently. “Dad for you if you like.”

“Sure.” I returned his genuine smile. From the corner of my eyes I saw Chase shift in his place uncomfortably but I ignored him. He lied to me and made me cook for him! “Would you like something, Dad?”

Chase snorted loudly. “I think we should get on with whatever business brought you here Father.” His brows knitted together as he watched me.

“Tea or coffee, Dad?” I pressed, plastering a smile on my mouth. Chase’s gaze burned the side of my cheek. I could literally feel him controlling his anger.

“Coffee will be good.” Carlos grinned clearly enjoying the word-war between me and Chase. I turned and started working, completely ignoring Chase knowing he was watching me.

*Chase Lancaster*

I couldn’t believe it. She called him Dad! He hasn’t been a Dad to me and now he was here to play the part!

I clenched my fist, controlling the urge to burst.

“Chase,” I guess I wasn’t good at controlling. My father obviously noticed. “Can I have a word with you?”

Not trusting myself to speak, I followed him out into the lounge. We stayed quiet for a couple of moments. It wasn’t the longest silence I had experienced with him but this was most crucial, almost piercing.

“I see that you both are getting along very well.” Finally he broke the ice. There was an unexpected satisfaction in his tone that made grind my teeth. Once again he reminded me why I was with Arianna in the first place. It was all because of him that I was with her. Not that I want to end things any soon but he’ll always remind me of his victory.

“Why are you here?” I asked him curtly.

“I wanted to see you Chase.” For a second I really thought he’s come to me like a dad. But as I glared back in his eyes, so gray… so cold, I remember he didn’t have that in him. Being a dad was never in his blood.