Chapter 12

--- 12 ---

*Arianna Lancaster*

Grooming classes turned out to be rather good. It was fun to stick around with Gage and even fun to stay away from Chase for most of the day. He’d always drop me at around 11 in the morning and punctually picked me up at exactly 5 in the evening.

It worked for me as long as I didn’t have to stick with him all day long. Gage and I spend time talking and making fun of girls who were trying to balance books on their heads while walking. Every day he’d stop by after school to help me through the rest of the day. He was becoming a good friend which was not what I had expected of him when I first met him as Chase’s best friend.

We even started playing scrabble since there was nothing to learn. Evelyn –Gage’s mother tipped me about the events I was expected to attend in future –she was sure I was going to be with Chase for the rest of my life, Hell no! And how I was supposed to walk and talk and what people expected of Lancaster family, especially me, being the newest member.

Either it was me, or she made them sound like they were royal blood or something. I felt a ting of nervousness at the thought to being presented in front of the elite socialites with Chase W. Lancaster by my side. That was the worst of it. Gage saw my anxious expression and tried to relax me.

“There’s nothing to worry about. I know its not easy being a Lancaster but it’s just a matter of time and you’ll get used to it…”

I flashed him a weak smile. I’ll be out of this mess before I get used to it… he wont keep me for so long. I won’t stay that long. We’ll be divorced by the time any of us get used to it… “What do you mean its not easy being Lancaster?”

“Uh, let’s see… it’s like being English. You know what I mean?” I shook my head and he frowned as if he’d expect me to know what he was talking about. “Following the rules, standards for living, reputation etcetera etcetera…” I let out a slight gasp as I got the picture. “You think Chase likes all of this?” that was a rhetorical question for the dramatic effect.

“Sure. He does seems to.” I mumbled.

“That’s what you think.” He passed me a cola can as we sat down on the corner table in a small cafeteria there. “I’ve been with him since kindergarten and if there’s anything he hates, it’s like being what he is.”

“Oh drop it.” I rolled my eyes, sipping from the can. “You’re trying to paint a good picture of him ‘cause he’s your buddy.” Also that he wanted me to like him. He knew I and Chase weren’t getting along too well. Obviously Chase had told him everything except the part where we are supposedly going to divorce… very soon.

“Sure he’s my best friend and I won’t say badly about him but I did let you run away, didn’t I?” he said smugly.

I thought for a moment. If it really hadn’t been on Gage, I couldn’t have escaped and let Junior know about my whereabouts. “So why did you?”

“Because you’re different from all those bimbos he hangs out with. First time I saw you, I knew Chase doesn’t exactly knows what he’s gotten himself for a wife.” He smirked.  “You were actually someone with brain who isn’t dazed by him.”

“He’s not that dazzling you know.” I looked away from him, feeling my face going hot. Don’t blush Ari, not now!

There was no doubt that Chase was gorgeous looking. Every night, I saw him, half naked – though he didn’t sleep on the bed anymore, but I still felt awkward.

How were we both resisting each other? That’s very difficult to answer.

“Telling you, it’s just the matter of time…” Gage grinned wide, probably noticing my cheeks turning pink. I faked a smile at him and he grinned even more knowing I was being sarcastic.