Chapter 17

--- 17 ---

*Arianna Lancaster*

Weekend went away as a Chase-less episode. I barely saw him –his face to be specific. Every now and then I got a glimpse of his back, fully dressed when he left the penthouse and naked when sometime at night, I’d sneak out of my room and found him walking in his room with a beer in his hand.

Otherwise, there was no Chase. We didn’t talk or show our faces to each other. We basically avoided each other’s existence.

Until this morning, third week into our tricked marriage and the first day of the week; beginning of my end. I was supposed to join school with Chase. I never knew he went to school! And I never expected I’d be going with him from now!

As I inspected myself in the mirror, I felt myself rather taller, for most of my body was exposed. With the navy blue skirt so short, my legs looked long and the gleaming white collar shirt exposed my breast a little too much because the first two buttons weren’t placed. The navy blue tie was supposed to tie loose around my neck.

I was still debating in my mind about the kind of hair style I should make when Milo, ran in the room and sat in front of me, wriggling his tail. “What do you think Milo? I look okay? Not that I’d stick around for long but impression counts—” I stopped and look down at a not-barking Milo. He never stays quiet.

He was holding a paper chit in his mouth, wriggling his tail. I kneeled down and took the chit out and he barked. It was a little wet.

Hurry up!’ the words were written in bold but untidily. At the end of the chit, another line was scrawled.‘P.S. spare the make-up, nobody’s going to notice you anyways’

I frowned. He’s so full of himself! Shaking my head, I scratched Milo behind his ear. He barked again. “Good boy.” I scratched beneath his chin and he leaned his face against my palm. “Now go and bark at him. Okay?” his tiny ears stood up in alert. “Go boy. Bark. Give him hell.” I grinned as he ran out of the room.

A second later I could hear his continuous shrill barking.

*Chase Lancaster*

I leaned against the elevator door, holding out a dog biscuit, waiting for the dog to come out. I grinned at myself, picturing her face as she would read my note. Over the weekend we had been kind of avoiding each other. I guessed that was the only wise thing to do. Note was the only way I could communicate with her at the moment.

Today was going to be her first day at school. I hadn’t planned it, but my dear Father had it all settled. Not for long Father…

Her dog came running out from the room and I straightened up. He deserved a biscuit; after all he’d acted as my messenger. He ran down the hall and just as I knelt down to give him his treat, he snarled.

“What’s up?” the way he snarled at me made him look like a violent little fur ball. “Don’t you want your prize?” I reached out for him but he barked so violently, I jumped up. I wasn’t scared but I hadn’t expected it. He snarled and let out his non-stop-intruder-alert­ bark. “Hey!” I tried to shove him away from my foot. “Stop it!” I yelled and he barked even more.

Whatever I did made him bark louder. Gosh! What is with the dog and its owner? Both are aggressive and extremely violent!

“Hush boy. That’s enough.” Arianna walked out of her room, grinning widely. The dog felt silent as if he hadn’t been barking at all. I glared down at him as he held out his tongue and wriggled his tail innocently.