Chapter 9

--- 9 ---

*Chase Lancaster*

I couldn’t sleep. Her exotic electric blue eyes emanated every time I closed my eyes. It was maybe because I was thinking about her or what had I just done to her. I was harsh and brutal. For a moment there, I thought I’d kill her but I wasn’t that strong.

She wasn’t the reason I did all of that, it was him – my Father, who brought such bitterness in me. Only if he wasn’t the way he was, I’d be some other person. A better one maybe…

“Chase?” I quickly looked up and found Louisia standing in front of me. I hadn’t noticed her coming in, nor did I remember sitting up and crushing my face in my hands. “Are you alright?” she asked with pure concern in her voice.

“Yeah.” I positioned myself rightly on the bed, turning on the lights. She came and sat besides me.

“How did it go?” I looked up at her as she asked. What was I supposed to tell her? That I had planned to ruin things and then I tried to kill her? I just sighed. “I guessed that too… not a pretty picture is it?” she chuckled disappointingly.

“I’m guessing you had a good time.”

She smiled. She and my parents had met with the elder Carlson at lunch. Louisia was supposed to get married to Paul Jr. “We have bonded quiet well, actually. I guess Father’s decision is finally paying off.”

“No, it's not! I’m glad you are happy with it but I am not. I can’t imagine my life being decided by someone who doesn’t care about anything but money and empire!” I let out my frustration in one go. Louisia was the only one I could really talk to about it because she was in it with me. “I don’t know why Father has to sacrifice us for the sake of business projects? Anything but this! And he made me do this. He forced me Lou. You know I wouldn’t have gone this far if he hadn’t decided to trade me for his gain.”

“It wasn’t a wise move brother, I must say.”

“Yes it wasn’t. If for a moment I had thought about what I would end up in, I swear I’d have stepped away. I wished I had looked into her a little more before actually marrying her.” I brushed my hand through my hair, resting my elbow on the knee, clutching my hair tightly.

“It’s about her then?” she raised her eyebrow. “Is she the reason why you regret it so much?”

I was quiet. “It’s about who she was… is…” I said quietly.

“So what if she’s what she’s supposed to be? So what if you married the right person by mistake?”

“She is Father’s choice Lou!” she was taken aback by my outburst. I shock my head, trying to clear it. “I’m sorry.” I shut my eyes and fell back, resting my back against the pillows. “You know I hate everything that Father do. I might not dislike Arianna but when ever I see her… I see Father’s victory and it brings the bitterness in me.” I sighed and looked at her.

“So what will you do now?”

“I have decided…” I saw her face as I told her this. She knew what I was talking about. Divorce. “…and I swear it won’t hurt your relationship with— what’s his name?” I teased her as I saw her face going blank. I didn’t want to make her sad.

“Paul.” She smiled.

“Wow, you’ve gone far sister.” I grinned for her sake. She was the only ally I had in the battlefield of our family-war. “Well, when can I meet this honored man?”