Chapter 2

--- 2 ---

3 Days Earlier

*Arianna Carlson*

“Are you serious Dad?!” I asked in disbelieve. Maybe I heard them wrong. I hope it did!

“Sweetheart, I know it’s a big decision but that’s how it has always been and—”

“But no! Dad, you can’t do this!” I was suddenly shouting. My mom sat besides me, patting my hand. I withdrew it from her. “You’re in it with him, aren’t you?”

“Honey, you’ve got to understand. Your granddad wants it.”

“Tell him to get married then!” I frowned and literally I heard dad chuckle.

“Arianna sweetie, it’s been going like this since ages. You’re not the first one.”

“But I’m the first girl in three generations to be dragged to hell!”

“It’s not hell Arianna. Look at the bright side, Uncle Paul is happy and me and your dad…” she smiled at my dad which he respectfully returned. “…we’ve been married for more than sixteen years now and this was the best thing that ever happened to us.”

She stood up and walked to my dad who was ready to receive her in his arms. Oh here it goes… as much as I was mad at them; I couldn’t help but beam at their love for each other. They were still young. Their love was immortal and passionate.

Let me stop you here and tell you Why dad said, ‘that’s how it has always been’ and mom was lecturing me about the ‘bright side’ because I’m a Carlson. And our family has a seventeenth century tradition of getting married, that is Arranged by the way, at an early age. And believe me or not, it has always worked!

I mean, can you believe it? How can an arrange marriage possibly work? Sure it worked for Uncle Paul and Aunt Karen because they loved each other before they got married. And my parents, well I’m sure they went through a lot… but now they had the perfect life together, thanks to arranged marriage.

If I wanted a life for myself, I’ll choose theirs.Maybe they were right… arranged marriage wouldn’t be so bad.

Oh hell no! You’re not falling in this trap Arianna! It worked for them but that doesn’t mean it’ll work for you too…

“But you both hated each other before marriage.” I protested, breaking their clean version of showing affection. By clean version I mean kiss free. Well, dad and mom were still crazy about each other and they never let go any opportunity to show it, which obviously grossed people around them. I doubt they even have sex twice every night.

“Says who?” Dad raised his eyebrow.

“And you also left mom after the accident.” That’s right. I had mastered in their past.

“That’s not true. I never left your mom.”

“Don’t lie Austin.” Mom shook her head. I grinned. I can win this! They can’t make me marry a stranger when they both know the consequences.

“Alright!” Dad raised his hands in surrender.

“And above all, you both never planned on getting married. It just happened didn’t it?” and how do I know it? Well, I have sources.

“That’s it! Aunt Collie and Uncle Paul are banned for you.” Dad started.

“Dad!”

“Austin!” mom shrugged him.