Chapter 7

--- 7 ---

*Gage McCarthy*

I had to blink quiet a few times to focus and see the things around me. I groaned as my head prickled. The hit was pretty hard. I felt nauseated. How the hell could a girl hit so hard?! I had to stay still for a few minutes because my head was still spinning.

“Arianna?” I called out her name, looking around. Where could she be? I stood up, rubbing my head, but it hurt even more. “Arianna?” I looked around the apartment but she wasn’t anywhere.

Then I remembered I saw her walking in the elevator before everything went dark. I made a run for it. She wouldn’t be far. Maybe I’ll find her in the lobby or just out side the building. She wouldn’t get away in just a minute. 

But she wasn’t in the lobby or outside the building. There was no sign of her. Where could she go? My mouth was getting dry and my feet were going cold. Chase would be mad. I ran to the receptionist. “Did you see the girl going out? The one who came in with Chase?”

She gaped at me. “Yes. She told me that Mr. Lancaster was waiting out side for her and that you will be staying in their apartment tonight.”

“What?” I frowned. “Did you see Chase? Huh?” I felt like beating her. She just stared at me blankly. “When did she leave?” I gritted my teeth, controlling the anger and the prickling in my head.

“About an hour ago, Sir.”

I shook my head in disbelieve. Was I out for that long!? But how… I sighed and walked to the elevator. Chase had to know…

I thought a few minutes before ringing him. Even if I tried to find her, where would I go? I had no freaking idea where she could be. And Chase would eventually know she’s missing.

I paced along as I waited for him to pick up. Finally he picked up. “Gage, I’m with Father. Ring later.”

“There’s a problem.” My mouth went dry but then I didn’t feel bad about it at all. Suddenly I felt like laughing. I liked Arianna. She was what Chase deserved. He tricked her into marrying him, thinking she was some fool who’d play along. But the point he missed about her was that she wasn’t only clever but wild too…

This play would be fun to watch after all. Unable to control myself, I started laughing.

“Gage, what the hell? Why are you laughing? What’s the problem?”

“Your wife just ran away.”

*Arianna Carlson*

Without glancing back at it, I slipped off the wedding band that Chase had tricked me to wear, and handed it to the cab driver. “This should do it right?” I looked at him hopefully. Sure, it wasn’t artificial but the way he looked at me when I handed him the ring made me think if he wanted more. But I didn’t have the money to pay him.

“This worth a lot!” his eyes got huge and he stared at me and then the ring.

I sighed in relief. “It’s worth your time. thanks.” I smiled at him, leaving him thinking I was some crazy person who just gave away their wedding band to a cab driver just because he transported them to their destiny.

Well, that was what they do, but for the past hour, he was roaming around the city because I just couldn’t remember what the address was to my dad’s penthouse.  

I didn’t wait for him to drive away and quickly walked in, incase Chase would see me somehow. I was fairly relaxed when the receptionist smiled at me, welcomed me and gave me the key to the apartment.