Chapter 23

--- 23 ---

*Chase Lancaster*

“Hey buddy!” I called out for Milo, just as I entered the apartment. He had jumped up, wriggling his tail excitedly but just as he saw me, he let out a low howl and went back to sit on the hearth rug with his head on his outstretched paws. “Something wrong?” I knelt down besides him and he coiled away a bit.

He never does that. Not now. Now that we were… friends… now that we seemed to get along just fine.

Maybe it was because I smelt bad. Of sweat. I just come back from the gym. I couldn’t stand the thought of Arianna going with Montgomery –hugging him, and I had to let out the frustration. So instead of coming back, I went to the gym. After spending a good time exercising and letting it all out, I came back just to find Milo acting strange.

“Alright buddy, I’ll bath if you can’t stand me.” I grinned, scratched his head lightly. He let out a muffled howl and didn’t even look my way as I stood up and walked to my room. “I’m offended though!” I called out, hoping he’d run to me but he didn’t. This wasn’t his usual behavior.

I went for the bath and let the warm water wash away all the stress –plus sweat.

He was still lying in the same position on the hearth rug, in front of the elevator when I got out, dressed fresh. I grabbed a coke for myself and dog biscuit for Milo. As I sat down besides him, he let out a low moaning howl.

 “Sleepy are you?” I scratched his head but he just wriggled his tail unenthusiastically. “What’s up buddy?” I shoved the biscuit at him but he did nothing except of sniffing and discarding it. “You know you’re becoming like her?” I grinned, picturing Arianna’s face in Milo’s. It was a funny image and I couldn’t help but let out a barking laugh.

Mil didn’t stir; just moaned a howl and turned his head towards the closed elevator door.

“Arianna... isn’t she back yet?” it just came to me; Milo let out a bark and I almost gasped loudly. I glanced at my watch. She should’ve been home hours ago!

What could possibly take her so long? Was she still with Montgomery?

I frowned deeply, resting my head against the pillar and stretched out my legs, closing my eyes. Why does it bother me so much to picture her with Montgomery? Why does it even matter what she does?

Since when has anything or anyone, especially a girl, bothered me?

Since when have I started caring about her?

Why do I care about her? Why do I feel like I should?

Was I becoming hopeless? Pathetic like she calls me?

Arianna’s face flamed up and her voice echoed in my ear. ‘You are pathetic Chase… very immature…’ her haughty laugh filled my ears. ‘You still need to work on controlling yourself… don’t fall in love with me Lancaster…’ then all of a sudden, her eyes flamed and her voice was loathsome. ‘I hate you for doing this to me...’

I almost jumped up; totally startled by the furious vibration of the phone in my pocket. It took me a moment to realize that I had dozed off, there on the floor with Milo still crouching on my lap and the apartment was drenched in the darkness.

I quickly answered the phone, got up and turned on the lights. Arianna wasn’t back. Something deep inside me screamed in alarm.

“Hey man, where’re you at?” Gage spoke from the other side.