Chapter 25: Fight or Flight

For Valentine's Day, Blaine thought he'd buy his boyfriend the typical celebration of love gifts: flowers, chocolates maybe a cute bear. What every other couple gets, because he longed to be every other couple at the moment. But he wasn't even sure if they were a couple anymore. Post sectionals death match Blaine begun working after school, but made sure there was always enough time to fit Sebastian in, but, since his team lost, he's begun undone. He barely speaks to Blaine, even via text:

I'm sorry. Busy. Can't. -Seb

Not tonight Blaine I'm working on stuff - Seb

Sorry. -Sebastian Smythe.

Those were some of the texts Blaine had received. The last one disturbed him to most because Sebastian's name was full not shortened, meaning he changed the conversations nick names. This made Blaine panic, he arranged extravagant dates, hangouts planned and denied, incredibly sexually suggestive messages were sent in attempt to draw Sebastian back to Blaine but it wasn't working. He didn't pretend nothing was wrong because it wasn't. Sebastian was mad his team got beaten by Blaines team and it was their relationship that took the toll. Blaine knew this was entirely his fault somehow, that it all linked back to him and in the end he would be placed with the blame.

Things were not good on the home front either: Blaines parents anniversary was on the 25th of Janurary, and his mothers gift to his father was a divorce. Ever since there has been fighting or silence. There was no middle ground on the volume. Speaking of middle ground, Blaine was not able to take any. In their verbal brawl, his parents had forced him to make a decision: his mother or his father. To what would happen if he chose one, he didn't know. Would he be going to live with them? He seemed highly uninformed as to his role in the twenty long day fight, but he was up to date as to other matters of the divorce and the law firm split:

On the 27th of January Blaine's mother put out a notice that Marcus and herself (Pam) (Their names) would be separating for a time and that the law firm would suffer no breaking or splitting as a result, that they should all stay unified as one, despite marriage troubles. The next day on the 28th of January, half of the law firms staff walked out with Marcus, taking nearly all of the cases and old clients with them and have been held up in the downstairs living room working. Downstairs was business territory for Marcus. Pam, Blaine and Cooper were now restricted from the living room and the garage as a large 23 people came in and out during the course of one day until, they found office space in the city. Marcus Anderson Legal was now established despite his name still being apart of another law firm: Pam & Marcus Anderson Law practice. Blaines mother swore to destroy the plague which sat boldly in the foyer of the old office. So for a few days Blaine found solace in the fight, the entire drama of the lawyers and investigators down stairs made a great distraction but now he was left to endure the battle between mother and father and neither would back down, they had no flight reflexes, only fight. Blaine had been kept out of all the fights and so had Cooper for a time, until he yelled at them to stop fighting. Marcus responded by assuming Pam was making her children shut down the fights and choose her over him which led to an even larger fight. These people were not the ones to submit to the depression of a situation. They were the ones to rise quick to anger, boil quickly when exposed to the flame.

~~~

By Valentine's Day afternoon the fight had picked up again once more and Blaine decided to leave the house as fast as he could. Creeping down the stairs slowly, he made sure the yelling was coming from the kitchen, and that Cooper wasn't going to throw him into the inferno of the fight. Once at the last two steps the voices of his parents became louder and louder, Blaine relaid his parents were getting closer:

"BLAINE" his father shouted.

"Don't involve him in this Marcus!" His mother roared

"SILENCE." He roared "Blaine! I need to know right now who do you think is being Irrational right now? Your own father or Your mom?"

Blaine had no idea what to say.

"He doesn't need to answer that!" Pam yelled back.

"Oh Pam, you're only saying that because you KNOW he wants to come with me and he KNOWS you're being irrational. This divorce is a farce! This conflict is a joke! You haven't a clue as to why you are leaving me!"

"I AM LEAVING YOU because, you have always treated me like an object Marcus. You use me for sex when you want, Christmas Day I went from boring to pathetic, because I realised I spent my life with a man who used me for my education, my money and my body and I am DONE. Blaine agrees with me!" She roared "don't you honey?"

Blaine stared blankly.

"Oh is that so Pam?" He roared

"That's right ASSHOLE." She screamed. "Who's it gunna be Blaine?"

"Well Blaine?" His father demanded.

They both asked: "Which one of us?"

Blaine blanked out again. He begun to black out when another image came across him:

The same age as his previous vision, Cooper stood watching Blaine. Blaine didn't know what to feel. Blaine turned his head out the window to see their baby sitter sitting on the back porch. Their parents were away at work as they always were. Cooper spoke: "It's just us Blaine, Mom and Dad have never been here for us. Now it's just you and me: brothers. And brothers need brotherly love."

Blaine snapped back to reality. He was not like either of his parents who both fought and fought and fought. Now he's become pathetic, caught in a web of his parents creation. He couldn't fight his way out, so he did what he knew how: flight.

"Neither of you" he answered, and Blaine walked out the door, slamming it shut for old times sake.

~~~

He went to the Lima Bean, where Blaine knew Sebastian would be. Sebastian is coffee guy and needs it constantly meaning the Lima Bean is his go to place. He knew he'd be there today too, because the Lima Bean refuses to put up decorations for Valentine's Day and Sebastian hates it due to never actually getting love in previous years and feeling alone. Blaine decided to turn that around however; after purchasing flowers, chocolates and cute little elephant toy from a local cheap shop he entered his work and scanned the place for his boyfriend when he found him, but not how he wanted to see him:

Standing in line at the register he stood next to someone. Someone who was very obviously Kurt. Blaine new that haircut anywhere, even if from the back. Blaine rose quickly to anger. They were there together. As a date? He never thought it could be a possibility that his ex-best friend and what seemed to be his ex-boyfriend were there. Together. Together. Blaine was still trying to figure out what that word meant when looking at the two.

For Valentine's Day, Blaine thought he'd by a gun instead.

~~~

He sat inside, far away from the two, but also close enough so he could watch them as they chatted, laughed and simply drunk in silence, embracing themselves thought Blaine. He brooded in his anger when the manager truly approached him:

"Hey Blaine" she said

"Hey Trudy" Blaine said without looking away from the two.

"You know how you were talking the other day about finding a place later?" She asked.

"Yeah why?" He asked still not looking at her.

"Well One of the lofts opened upstairs, and I was wondering if you wanted to rent?" She asked "you know considering you have some money and need a new place soon anyway."

Blaine looked up

"Can I move in now?"