Chapter 15

Caleb's POV

I woke up in chains.

I groaned, my head throbbing. Where was I? I could see mist, and rocks.

And the sky. I could see Artemis holding up the sky, her silvery clothes in tatters. Sweat ran down her face like quicksilver. I stood up unsteadily and unsheathed my sword carefully.

"Don't you dare."

I swallowed hard and my eyes flitted to the sword on my neck. It seemed to seep my soul out of myself. I tried to concentrate.

I made out a few forms in the mist. Four mortal soldiers holding guns aimed at me. One more soldier grabbing Annabeth tight. She struggled, kicking and trying to move her tied arms. I met her eyes, and her eyes were frantic, telling me to run.

That made me mad.

Suddenly, I had the urge to explode Luke's head at the spot. Kill everyone. But I knew I couldn't. I had to explain everything to Artemis and Annabeth, and I didn't think I could meet Annabeth's eyes after killing Luke.

Luke's grip on me loosened. I blinked twice and dared a glimpse behind me. He had taken two steps away from me.

"Fight me."

I scowled. "What if I don't want to?"

"You die." he paused. "Annabeth too."

Annabeth glared daggers at Luke. He didn't even glance at her.

"Don't.... Don't ignore Annabeth."

His face darkened. "I didn't." he spat. "I asked her to join me." the resentment was clear in his voice. He glowered at me for a few moments.

"We're getting off topic." he said tightly. "Fight me. Show me your powers that can kill me without you even touching me. Or.... Was that a lie?"

"Yes. It's a lie."

"Are you telling me to believe it."

I didn't answer. I was too busy trying to read Annabeth's eyes.

What the heck is Luke talking about.

I swallowed hard.

It's a lie. I mouthed. I swear.

Suddenly, the soldier banged Annabeth's head on the rocks.

The soldier's head exploded.

Annabeth fell to the ground unconscious and I cracked my knuckles.

"You've got the wrong person Luke...."

4 bullets went straught through my legs, but I couldn't feel much. Anger took up most of what I was feeling right now. I took a deep breath.

"Do you have a death wish." I hissed.

"Do you?"

The General's voice made me calm down a little, and more alert to my pain. My legs were bleeding profusely. One bullet had gone through my calf, and the others were stuck in my legs. I was losing blood too fast.

I was completely frozen as the General picked Annabeth up from the exploded remains of the soldier. I didn't take my eyes off of him.

"Show me again."

I shook my head. Luke jumped on me from behind and my head banged on the rock floor. I didn't try to struggle. I understood Luke could kill me at the spot, but I knew I had no choice.

"Fight us. Or hold up the sky."

"... Or."

"Die."