Chapter 3

Caleb's POV

"You stay here around the flag."

I nodded as enthuiastically as I could. I knew Luke was saying 'around the flag' just to make me feel more important, but I knew this was the place where nearly nobody would come. I picked at my armor, holding my shield and unbalanced sword. I wanted to hold Riptide. I wondered if I lost Riptide, it would go back to me or the other Percy's pocket. I hoped it would come back to me.

I looked up as I heard some rustling. I remembered there was Percy nearby. I smiled, remembering when I had broken Clarissie's spear. I missed those days.

Suddenly, a Hesphastus kid came out from the bushes. He scanned me and snorted.

"Guys! They put a newbie here!"

Three other Hesphastus kids came out. I laughed nervously.

Why here?

"Come on. We don't want you to get hurt." the eldest said slowly.

I swallowed. I knew what I had to do.

They didn't matter.

Swallowing down my pride, I stepped aside. One smiled and patted my hair as he went past. I gritted my teeth.

For now.

~

I tried to listen to the sounds comimg out of the woods.

The Hellhound.

I looked around the forest. Nothing. I pursed my lips. Did they get the flag yet? I heard cheering, so I left the my place and went to where Percy would be. Luke was holding up the gray silk banner. Clarissie was yelling.

I looked around. The hellhound-

A roar rippled from behind me. The hellhound jumped right over me and landed on Percy. Of course, it died before it could kill him completely. Percy looked stunned. All the sounds seemed to drone out.

The claiming.

I swallowed hard. Annabeth pushed him in the creek. The scars faded. And the floating trident appeared over his head.

"Hail, Perseus Jackson, Son of the Sea god."

~

That was the last night Percy slept in the Hermes cabin.

He moved to the Posiedon cabin, and I had to go to the forest to change forms every night. Luke's attention turned to Percy.

And I was alone- completely alone.

Sometimes a few kids would ask me to prank with them. Sometimes I got letters from Aphrodite girls asking if I had a girlfriend. I had a few friends.

That was all the attention I got.

I liked it.

Every day- when I trained, I knew that I should enjoy these times. Even when I had to fall to other campers. Even when I couldn't do my best.