Chapter 13

The next year

Annabeth's POV

When the tree was poisoned, I had nobody to talk to.

I felt really helpless when I had gotten the news. I was running away from California- my dad's house, my dad, and my stepmother. I really had felt like I had no one by my side. I wished Luke had never gone over to Kronos.

I barely had no one to rely on.

I had lost Luke. I couldn't lose Thaila too.
Honestly, if there was Percy, I would of talked to him. But he was at school and I was somewhere in America.

I could only think of Caleb.

I remembered what he had said to me last year. About being forgotten by someone you cared for. I sighed and dusted off my pants. I did have his number. But it seemed awkward to call or text him. We weren't that close. Were we? I could ask his friends. Suddenly, his sad golden eyes popped into my head.

I only had her dead body to tell somebody how much I missed her.

The words sent shivers up my spine. What did he mean?

Her dead body.

I remembered the way he had hugged me from behind, and his red hair smelled good. It was really soft. And his breath was right against my ear-

My cheeks felt hot. No. I did not like him. And he was trying to comfort me.

He was a player.

I knew it from the moment that Lucia was near him. I hated Lucia. Nearly every girl did. She always acted nice to the guys she liked, and looked at everyone else like they were trash.

But he was handsome with his-

I slapped myself. What was wrong with me?

Ignoring the stares, I kept on walking in the heat. I felt the money in my pocket. I had enough for a soda. Honestly, It was what I really wanted right now. I bought a coke with the rest of my money. I sat on a bench, sipping my soda in the shade of a tree. I saw a a kid with her parents under a tree, having a picnic. I sighed.

I wished I was a mortal.

"Annabeth?"

I looked around and scowled at the bleached boy. His purple eyes smiled at me.

"Hi!"

I stood up as they got closer. I saw the black haired guy look at me from behind him.

"Why are you here?"

I was a little abashed by his rudeness. I blinked once.

"Why are you here?"

"For a walk."

The bleached guy scanned me. "Going to camp?"

I nodded slowly.

"Then lets go together."

"... No. It's okay." I paused. "I need to meet Caleb."