Left Behind

Prologue

Left Behind

Wayne Manor (1979)

My name is Diana from Themyscira. I am eight years old and I have never set a foot on man's land. Today though, I will meet a boy who is the same age as I am, eight years old. He lives on Man's World. I hear this boy had lost his parents. I could never imagine loosing my mother, Hippolyta.

My mother and I drove in a red vehicle with circular objects that held it from touching the ground. These circular objects were called wheels apparently and had rubber surrounding it. This vehicle we drove in, it was nothing like what we had on Themyscira. This vehicle was powered by gasoline, whatever that is. It had glass on the top portion of it that was split into six parts. It also had four doors that would open up like a door to my room. When it ran, it spat out grey gases, that smelt bad, out of a cylindrical tube that was silver and I assumed the gases were bad for your body.

"Mother why am I going to live on Man's World? Why can't I live with you?" I asked my mother who was controlling the vehicle by steering it with a wheel that was reminiscent to a wheel on a Pirates' boat.

She also controlled it's speed with pedals, that if she were to push down on it, the vehicle would go faster.

"My daughter, Diana, there's so much I can't explain right now..." Mother replied.

"Is it involving the war? Ares?" I asked.

"How do you know of the war? And even more importantly, how do you know of Ares?" Mother questioned angrily.

"Artemis informed me. I was curious." I replied.

"I will talk to Artemis when I get back to Themyscira." Mother stated, "You must not mention anything Artemis has told you. It could get you killed."

"I won't mother." I said scared.

Mother knew I was scared, she saw me shivering in the seat right next to her seat. I was shaking the car.

"Don't be scared little Diana, all will be well. Once I defeat Ares I will come back for you." Mother said, she grabbed a journal out of a bag she had woven. "Take this, it will help me tell you what's going on. I have one of my own, whatever I write in mine will appear in yours."

I took the journal out of her hand.

"Mother, I thought men couldn't be trusted. Why am I living with men then?" I asked, changing the subject.

"Not all men are bad. A friend of mine, who fought in a war with me has agreed to watch you, too keep you safe." Mother answered.

We arrived at a mansion that looked a lot like the Temple of Hera but a lot smaller. I saw an older man, with new grey hairs on the right and left sides of his head. The man was just growing in grey hairs, he was older but not too old. Next to the man was an eight year old boy. Mother had told me that the boy was a few days older than I was. He may be older but I doubt he was wiser.

We got out of the red car and walked onto cement stairs that led to the older man and the boy. The cement felt like a nail filer when I felt it with my hands. I had never seen cement before.

"Who are they?" I heard the boy ask the older man.

"People who need our help." The older man answered.

Mother stood in front of the older man and hugged him. "Hello Alfred." I heard my mother say. They were close but not too close, only friends.

I assumed the older man taught Mother at one point or it was the other way around. Mother then walked over to me.

"You will be staying with them. Trust them like you would me." Mother commanded.

"But they're men." I said.

"Remember what I said. Not all men are bad. I will come back for you. I don't know when, I don't know how but you will see me again." Mother said letting tears dropped from her eyes.

I ran up to hug her. "I don't you to go. I want to live with you!"

"You can't Diana. It's too dangerous. Ares is a threat that you cannot handle yet but in time, you will be fighting him beside me and your sisters." Mother said. "I will always love you my princess."

"I love you too Mother." I said crying.

Mother turned to Alfred. "Thank you." She said.

"Stay safe, never let your guard down." Alfred said with his hand on the boy's shoulder.

"I won't." Mother said. Mother turned to me, "Goodbye Diana."

Mother walked to the red vehicle and took off as I watched, left behind.