The Contract M

I was already late for the interview and was trying to move as fast as humanly possible in this rush hour crowd, when I heard my cell ring. Panting and already out of breath, I fished for my cell in my bag. It was a humongous task if you ask me. Well it is if you try to search for your pestering cell in an overcrowded huge handbag while trying to maintain your walking speed.

Finally I found it, I saw that my little sister had called me 10 times. Thinking that she was in some sort of trouble, I called her back. “What is it Miri? Are you alright girl?" I asked in a slightly panicked voice. “Chill Bell, I'm fine. Just called to check on you. Have you reached yet? Stay calm ok and please smile a little." She laughed as she said that.

"What? You called me 10 times just to wish me luck Miri, Yo-

Ugh!! What the hell? I felt something cold wet my white shirt. I looked down to realise that I was drenched with coffee and the perpetrator was the wall I had walked into while I was busy talking on the phone.

"What the fuck Mister! Can't you see? You have spoilt my shirt and I am due for an interview! “I screamed at him giving him my famous chilly stare. Instead of backing down and apologizing, he gave me one of his own and said in an icy blast; well that’s how his voice felt like to me, “Lady you crashed right into me. If only you look where you walk, you won't have to worry about white shirts and don't worry, no one will look at your fatty figure in the interview. He would rather you have brains, which I doubt you have. Good bye and luck"

He walked away leaving me staring at his back with my mouth wide open. I was so angry that I could have killed him. Well that's an exaggeration because the wall, as I refer to him, was huge. Tall and broad shoulders. Completely hot if you discount his freezing gaze and arctic wind of a voice and yup horrid manners. “Bell, Bell are you there? Are you ok? Please tell me what happened?"

I heard my sister's voice on line. “I have spoiled my white shirt and mood and that's all Miri." I replied back. "Ok, chill. Where have you reached now?" she asked.

"I am just about to enter into the building kid." I replied. I knew that now I had lost this all important interview and depression and panic were setting in. "Chill Bell, you have a red scarf in your bag. Go straight into the washroom and tie it around your neck. Then button up the Jacket of your suit so only the red scarf can be seen. You will be as good as new then."

"God Miri, you are a life saver. Ok, I got to run, I'll call you back as soon as I am done."

I disconnected the call and walked into the building of Emmerson Incorporated. It was a beautiful structure that I would admire once I get this job. I walked in and went up to the reception. It was very elegant inside. Marble floorings and pillars. It was filled with portraits of the founders and some paintings adorning the walls. The chandelier was enchanting. I smiled at the equally elegant receptionist who adorned the corner and asked for directions to the washroom. "I have come here for an interview but had a little mishap on my way. Can you please direct me to the washroom?"

"Hi, I am Ella. The washroom is down the hall, the first left. All the best for the interview. Mr. Emerson's Secretary will be taking them but you will be monitored by Mr Emmerson himself, so please try and reach there on time and look pleasant. He is fair but with a temper. You will have to go to the 20th floor."

I thanked her and rushed into the washroom. Wow! The washrooms are also elegant. Ok I have been using this word a bit too much. Might as well look a bit elegant myself before I meet this Mr Emmerson. Ugh! Elegant again!

I used the scarf to tie a loose knot around my neck so that it hung elegantly covering my neck and shirt and adjusted my jacket around it. There. Done. I powdered my face and tucked my hair before walking out to the elevator. Wow! Everyone here looks so elegant and sophisticated.

What is it with me and the word elegant?  I cannot stop using it.

I rush into the elevator and nearly crash into the wall in my haste. Oops! Wait it isn't the wall of the elevator but The Wall again. Oh My God! I am in the elevator with Mr. Arctic voice. I give him a chilly look and press 20 and wait patiently for this ride to get over. I am seething but from the corner of my eye, I notice him smirk. What The Fuck!

I decide to give him a piece of my mind. I turn towards him and ask," May I know what are you doing here Mr? You haven't even pressed the button of your intended floor and you stand here smirking? Mr Emerson does not like such wierdos like you. So you better perk up and behave."

His smirk was now a full smile. “Really madam? You know him well then?"

"Yes Mister I do, considering that I am his secretary." I sassed.

He smiled as the lift dinged signalling the arrival of the 20th floor." After you madam secretary."

 He said trying to behave all gentlemanly, I thought.

I smirked as I felt this to be my victory and headed out. He followed me.

I saw a lady waiting by the elevator. She smiled at me but perked up when she saw The Wall and said, “Good Morning Mr. Emmerson Sir."