Chapter 12

Some Time Later...

"Ahh! Delilah the baby is coming!" I screech as she speeds down the highway weaving violently through traffic. If it were any other time I would applaud her wonderful driving, but labor brings out the crankiness in people. "Delilah!"

"I'm trying, traffic is a bitch and a pregnant woman screaming at you isn't helping either."

The second we get to the hospital Delilah runs in screaming like a maniac. Eventually doctors hear her words and rush to the car. I am lifted onto a stretcher and pushed into a room. Shortly after a young doctor appears.

"Hi, I'm Dr. Zachary Jamison." He is the guy from the airplane!

"Nice to meet you Zac, just skip this hospitality act. Get down near my vagina and get this baby out!"

He has the audacity to laugh. "I can't say a woman has ever been that blunt. Especially a pregnant woman at that."

"Yeah, well labor takes the patience out of a woman."

After our banter Dr. Jamison gets to work. In a huge blur I hear a crying baby.

"It's a girl." A nurse calls out. "I'll just take her to be cleaned off."

While a nurse cleans my baby the doctor talks to me.

"So is this your first time giving birth?"

"Is this your first time doctoring someone who is giving birth?" I snap back.

"Are you always this spicy?"

"Are you always this idiotic?"

"Only for you."

I don't understand why he is being so flirtatious.

"Why are you flirting with me? I am married."

"The absence of a band on your finger says otherwise. Plus there is no discoloration, so I know you didn't just take a ring off."

Caught in my own lie, I try to change the subject.

"You're one to talk, I don't see a band on you."

"Is that an invitation? But I am not married either."

I scoff at his remark.

"You don't believe me." He states more than ask.

"What type of sexy young doctor is not married." Before I could correct my slip he intervenes.

"I knew you thought I was sexy."

The nurse that went to clean my baby knocks on the door.

"Am I interrupting something?" My eyes go straight to her arms. My little baby is resting. "Would you like to hold her?"

"Please."

She hands my daughter to Dr.Jamison. He doesn't hand her over. Instead he stares down at her as if she is his daughter. He then hands her to me.

"She looks like her mother...beautiful. You can tell in her lifetime she will definitely break many hearts. Just like her mother."

"So can I now hold her?" I look at a chair in the room to see Delilah. I totally forgot that she was here. So I guess she heard everything.

"I guess I'll leave." Dr.Jamison starts toward the door.

"Dr. Jamison," he turns toward me, "thank you." His face breaks out into a devilish smile, with that he leaves.

Delilah's voice breaks the short silence. "I'm glad that's over. I thought you guys were going to do it right here in the delivery room. Especially when he gave that spill over the baby. The sexual tension in the room was strong. I thought you were about to make another child. He is a sexy doc though. I mean if you don't lay him on a table and show him how babies are made, I just might." Delilah's rant wasn't quite yet concluded. "Speaking of the baby, what are you going to name her?"

"I was thinking of Annaliese. Annaliese Delilah Peters. I think she should have his surname."

Delilah started to cry. She knew what that name means to me. My mother's name was Annaliese. She and my father died in a car accident when I was ten.

"That is beautiful."

I finally took time to look at my daughter. She really is beautiful. She has Kyle's green/blue/gold eyes and golden hair. She has our freckles. My freckles cover the top of my cheeks, his cover the bridge of his nose. Her freckles look like a mask that fans across her cheeks and nose. She is simply amazing. I can't wait to spend the rest of my life with her.