Chapter 11

"Brittany? Is that you?" My savior Delilah calls.

"Yes, it's me."

"How'd it go?" After one look to my face she stops dead in her tracks. After processing my features she tackles me info a bear hug.

"I can't do it, he can't see my baby."

"Well, then it looks like I've been promoted to Daddy." Delilah puts her hand on my belly and starts speaking to the baby, "Little One, you better be a boy. Then I won't have to get my riffle out to shoot those pesky boys." I giggle at Delilah's poor joke.

"You don't even own a gun."

"I'll buy one." She sticks her chin in the air.

"Have you ever shot one?"

"Nope, but it's never too late to learn. Honey, I just want you to know that I am here whenever you or the baby needs me. When do we find out the gender of my child, anyways?"

"Tomorrow I have an appointment, but I didn't tell you because you have work. I knew you'd want to take off to be there with me and I can't have you do that."

"No complaints, I'm going."

"Delilah." I whine.

"Not taking 'no' for an answer." She whines back at me.

24 Hours Later...

"Brittany, Brittany Cole." The nurse called me back. "So, we are here to see what you're having, correct?"

"Yes Mam, I just want to know what is happening."

She leads me to a room. She tells me to lay down and raise my shirt. She then puts the cold liquid on my stomach. After waving the wand over my stomach in a circle a draw times a small picture appears.

"That little blob there is the head." Her finger points to a small circle and moves to the rest of the body. "And that is the heartbeat of your beautiful baby." A small steady pace enters my ears.

Tears erupt to the surface of my eyes. Delilah's hand tightens around mine as I look to see her shaking with tears.

"Would you like pictures?"

"Please." I ask.

"Wait, what are we having?" Delilah stops the nurse.

"I thought it was obvious, you're having a baby girl."

With that she leaves. After getting our pictures we go to get ice cream.

"Delilah? Should I tell him?"

With the spoon of her ice cream hanging in her nose Delilah answers my question.

"No Honey, you shouldn't. You should send pictures to his parents though."