Chapter 33: The Aftermath

Start from the beginning

"Yeah. I don't know what real and not real." He says.

"I'm seeing myself as a monster." Scott says.

"What?" I ask. "You're not a monster."

"This morning, a shadow showed that my fingers were clawed and I was just running from a beast that was my shadow." He says, looking at his own, normal shadow.

I sigh and we all start walking to class. "Well, well, look who's no longer the crazy one." Lydia says as we walk into the building. 

"We are not crazy." Allison counters. 

"Hallucinating? Sleep Paralysis? Yeah, you guys are fine." Lydia says, as I make a list of possible situations in my head.

"We did die and come back to life." Scott says.

"So did I." I say. "I just got nightmares."

"But the way we did it... It's gotta have some side effects." Scott says, looking around. The bell rings and I groan.

"Keep an eye on each other, got it?" I say worriedly. They all nod and I start to walk away, but not before says, "And stop enjoying this so much, Lyds. It's not normal."

"Enjoying what?" She asks, bringing a smile to my face. I put my hand out and she takes it. We then start to walk to history. 

I walk in, leaving her to art class, and sit down. I notice a new kid sitting in the back of the class. She looks shy and normal. I quickly evaluate her and determine two things: one, she doesn't look like a threat, and two, if she is supernatural, she doesn't know it yet. 

"Morning everyone." The teacher says, bringing my attention to the front of the class. "My name is Mr. Yukimura. I'll be taking over for your previous history teacher. My family and I moved here three weeks ago. I'm sure, by now, you all know my daughter, Kira. Or you might not since she's never actually mentioned anyone from school. Or brought home a friend for that matter." I hear a big bang from the back of the class. I look behind me to see the new student with her head on the desk. Then it clicks. "Either way, there she is." Mr. Yukimura says, pointing to the girl. 

As she sits up slowly, I see her make eye contact with Scott and smile. I know that it's not much, but I send him a look, which he ignores. "Lets begin with American history at the turn of the 20th century." Mr. Yukimura says. Instead of opening my textbook, I take out a piece of paper. I then start a list of situations. 

Dying

Bardo

Going insane

Nemeton side-affects

The list goes on and on. I then start to cross off a few but ultimately end with about 5 options left. I scribble a note to call Bobby but cross it out. Instead I write Deaton's name and then tune out the rest of class. I just think about what is happening. Will they be ok?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Maybe we need a little more time to get back to normal." Scott says as we approach Stiles' locker. 

"Yeah try not to forget we hit the reset button on a supernatural beacon for supernatural creatures." Stiles says, putting in his combination with increased difficulty. "There's a pretty good chance things are never going back to normal."

"Yeah." I say, watching him squint at the lock.

"What?" He mumbles, just loud enough for me to hear.