Chapter 13 The Beautiful Street Rat's Ways

Start from the beginning

"Julia. Let us go." Brother called out. He was acting as if nothing had happened.

I walked to his side and looked at our destination.

"My Lady." I read.

It is a rival pub of Thornless Rose.

"Watch out, Julia. This place is dangerous."

I rolled my eyes. "This is my second home. I know how places like this works, Brother."

We entered the pub and had our seats on a table far away from the other ones.

"Why are we here, Brother?" I asked.

"Undertaker said that the cause of death might be poison. One of the people that runs a poison-related business had his people deliver the products here." Brother said in a hushed tone. "What I need to do is find one of his henchmen and ask a few questions."

I cannot help but glance at his lips every now and then... I need to get my wits together!

"Wh-what would be the indicator that he is one of the henchmen?" I asked.

"I believe that there is a snake crest tattooed on their wrists."

I nodded, still trying to get off my mind the fact that we should have kissed.

"Looking at all the people's wrists on this place is definitely not an option. Somehow, we must eliminate the possibilities to at most three."

"I say that guilty people have shifty eyes, tightly shut mouth, and sometimes forehead's creased."

I looked around. "My bet's on that person over there!"

I pointed at the well to do man that was seated on one of the bar stools.

"No. It has to be that man." He said, pointing at a distressed man. My eyes widened for a second. That is Greg, the manager! It is impossible.

"...How much will you bet?" I said, a devilish grin appearing on my lips.

He looked at me in disbelief. I shrugged. "This will be more entertaining this way."

"I will be betting one sack of gol-"

"Not that type of bet!" I hissed. "If I win, you shall take me to an.. Outing without your privilege as a noble."

"...I shall oblige if ever you are to win." He answered, taunting me with a smile. "But if I am the one to win, you shall answer my question with a positive answer."

I raised an eyebrow. "What question is it?"

"You shall know once I ask it."

I pressed my lips together debating whether I should approve or not... The condition seems fair enough. And it is given tat he will lose.

"We will commence the plan to check once Sebastian comes."

"No way." I said.

I stood up and started to walk to the man I suspect. I can take care of this by myself.

I sat down beside the man.

"I shall have the usual." I called out.

"Usual-?" The bartender was cut. He was about to have an outburst.

I motioned my pointing finger to my lips, shushing him.

I then turned to the man beside me. I cannot see his wrist for he is wearing a long dress shirt.

"Excuse me, mister. Have you.. Ever been here before?" He turned to me with forehead creased.

He has blonde hair and dark chocolate piercing eyes. It appears that he is on his early 20's.

I bit my lower lip and eyed him with my glossy eyes. I feel disgusted acting as a dirty woman.

"My name is Maria." I introduced, holding out a hand.

He took it, awed by my looks. "...John."

"Here is your order." The bartender settled my drink on the counter and I picked it up, drinking from it slowly while eyeing my target.

"May I ask what you are doing here?" I asked

"...I.. Am told to meet someone."

I hummed thoughtfully. "Maybe that person is me.."

He shook his head.

"Can I not be that person instead?" I slowly traced my finger across his arms. He shuddered under my touch.

When I find the timing right, I carefully pulled up his shirt's sleeves.

Bingo.

I moves closer and whispered on his ears. "Would you like to come with me instead and have fun?"

He hesitated but slowly nodded as he saw my face.

I took his hand in mine and stood up. I left a generous amount of money before walking towards the exit.

I glanced at Brother who was already with Sebastian. He was glaring at the man with such intensity. I ignored that gesture and gave a brief nod and eyes that means so much to him.

His expression quickly change to those of understanding and nodded, whispering something to Sebastian.

I took the man to an empty alleyway. The moon is already shining so bright. I then pulled him closer, enveloping my arms on his back. I slid my hands down to the pocket on his pants and took out the box sticking on it.

I have noticed the box since then and I was curious to see what it was.

I then removed my grip from him, pushed his mesmerized form away. I safely hid the box behind my back.

"Thank you for your cooperation." I said, eyes turning mischievous. "Looks like I win the bet, Brother.

His face turned to confusion.

"Whatever." Brother appeared with Sebastian trailing beside him. "I have a question for you."

The man cussed. "Queen's Watchdog."

I walked to Brother and eyed the man.

"Can you tell me who you are supposed to meet?" Brother asked the man.

John grinned. "I apologize Dog but it is in our rules not to answer any questions coming from a lowlife like you."

Brother sighed. "I am not in the mood for this" he took out a gun and point it square to the man's face. "Answer me."

"No." The man firmly answered. He then glared at me. He is probably mad that I took him in this current predicament.

"It was nice knowing you then."

"No!" I shouted before I could even think. Brother turned to me, frowning. "Please do not kill him."

"And why?" Brother asked, clearly annoyed.

"Because all life is precious." I mumbled. I cannot let anyone die in my watch.

I looked down, fiddling with the box behind my back.

"For god's sake." Brother lowered his gun and turned to Sebastian. "Send him to Abberline's brother."

Sebastian nodded, walking to the man and carrying him like a sack of potatoes. He then disappeared midair.

"Great. We did not have any clue."

"...Actually we do." I answered, holding up the package in my hands.

There, written was a name and an address.

"Where did you get that?"

"On the man's pocket." I answered.

"H..how!?"

I simply shrugged. "Let us just say that I used to master in pickpocketing."

He just stared at me in disbelief.

"Brother, you have to know that I have my ways as a Street Rat." I grinned.

--------