Chapter Twenty- Three

On Monday morning I stood in the driveway shooting hoops while waiting for the bus. I was not looking forward to school today. I was not looking forward to facing Triston Morris. I couldn't belive I kissed him.

I

Kissed

HIM.

I threw the ball. It bounced off the backboard and sailed my way. I caught it centimeters from my nose. I kissed him. This is the second time we've kissed since Cory and I have been together. I feel like I cheated.

I threw the ball again, making a basket. Nothing but net.

"Beautiful." I heard a voice behind me say. I turned around and saw Matt walking towards me. I offered a slight smile and dribbled lazily.

"What's wrong?" He asked as he took the ball from me. He shot and made it. The ball bounced back and he handed it to me. I sighed and dribbled twice. I looked up at him. I wanted to tell him but I couldn't seem to formulate the words. I guess simply saying 'I kissed Triston' was too blunt. So, instead I threw the ball and made it.

"Come on, Avery." Matt said as he poked my side. He gave me his famous smile. "You didn't come down for dinner last night, and it's pretty rare that you skip a meal. And you haven't spoken much, which is definitely out of the ordinary." He teased. When I didn't respond he took the ball from me and looked me in the eyes.

"Avery, what's wrong?" He asked as he put his hand on my shoulder. I looked up at him and hugged him. He put his arm around me and hugged back. "Hey, it's ok." He said sympathetically. "You could tell your big bro anything. You know that, right?"

"Technically, you're not my brother." I said with a slight laugh.

"Technically, I wouldn't be your big brother, anyway. You're two months older then me." He smiled.

We pulled apart and he shot a basket.

"Seriously, though. Spill it."

I took the ball and dribbled before I said, "Matt, I kissed Triston." He looked at me briefly and raised his eyebrows. "Oh." He replied simply as he took the ball and dribbled it. "Wow." He murmured as he threw it.

"So... Um... Did you like it?"

I took my turn shooting. "You know, I have a boyfriend. And I really should say no, but..." I trailed off.

"But...?" He prompted.

"But I did."

"Oh." He said again.

Neither of us said anything for a while. We just took turns shooting. I looked over at Matt and saw something suspicious behind his eyes.

He was about to shoot when I jumped up and smacked the ball from his hand, then held it protectively in my arms.

"You knew I kissed Triston!" I accused as I jabbed my finger into his chest.

"Owe! That hurt."

"That's nothing compared to what you're about to endure." I hissed.

"Ok! Ok! So Triston told me. Big deal."

"It is a big deal, Matt! Why didn't you say anything?"

"Because I knew you would tell me when you were ready." He stole the ball from me. He tried to shoot but I smacked it away and dribbled around him.

"Wait a minute! He told you? What did he say exactly?" I asked as he swiped the ball away from me. I ran after him.