Christmas drabble - DAY 17

Request:  Dilmer child's first Christmas.

She isn't sure what Christmas is. But when Demi tells her that it's going to be a lovely day with presents and delicious meals and people that loves her, she thinks that it will be a nice day, after all.

And when Demi asks her to help decorate the Christmas tree, she frowns a little, tells her she wants to sleep, because Christmas tree reminds her of her real mommy, the one who didn't love her, the one who put her in that awful place where she spent months until Demi found her. She tells Demi that she doesn't care about the tree.

But Demi isn't her mom, Demi loves her, so Demi asks to tell her a story about Christmass tree and at first Isabella shakes her head, tells that there's no story but Demi smiles at her that heart- warming smile and Isabella mutters that she found out her mother dead under the Christmas tree.

And a few little tears run down her cheeks and Demi hugs her, tells her that from now on, Christmas is going to be a lovely holiday for her because Demi and Wilmer are going to make it special. And when the tears are gone and there's a small smile on the girl's face, she decides to try and help Demi to decorate that tree.

Demi lifts her up and helps her to put a star on top of the Christmas tree, she helps to wrap a colorful garland around it and from time to time, Demi pulls her into embrace and whispers that she loves her very much.

And Isabella is just five years old but she isn't stupid, she has seen people abusing each other, she has been abused, so she doesn't believe that Demi really loves her, but she likes her because Demi is funny and she tucks her in every night and reads her a fairytale.

So she doesn't say anything, doesn't push Demi away, she just closes her big blue eyes and enjoys the warmth that Demi spreads.

And when Isabella finally pulls away and looks at Demi, she finds her eyes glassy but there's still that small smile on her face. It makes Isabella frown - she hasn't done anything to dissapoint Demi, she has been good and she made Demi cry anyway.

"I love you," It's Demi who whispers it one more time and Isabella smiles a little wipes away tears that fallen down Demi's cheeks and says that she likes Christmas.

And Demi chuckles, tells that she likes Christmas too. And after a moment or two the older woman suggests to go to the kitchen and make dinner for Wilmer and Isabella nods her head eagerly, because Wilmer is good, just as good as Demi, and Isabella likes him too.

The girls walk to the kitchen, put on the music and make the most delicious pancakes in the whole wide world.

When Isabella is eating pancakes with Wilmer, laughing while Demi tells them a joke, the girl realizes that maybe she belongs here with them, maybe she will be happy and loved here.

And she's loved here, she's loved very much.