Chapter Thirty-Seven: Carolin's Lies

Groaning under his breath, Marco stared at the morning paper knowing that he shouldn't have been surprised about this; Carolin had gone running to the papers with a story about their 'romantic' evening together. 

This was the last thing that Marco needed right now when his pregnant fiancée was miles away back in Germany, he had spoken with his lawyer and he was doing his best to try and get the stories retracted since half the things that Carolin had said didn't even happen. 

"It'll be okay," Mats said trying to reassure him, it didn't look good but a statement had been released and he was sure that this mess would be cleared up in no time. 

It had been a rough couple of days for Marco and Mats truly felt for him since he hadn't done anything wrong; he had no idea what was going to happen but he knew that it would all work out. 

Marco chewed on his lip, he wished that he could have put a stop to this sooner but he knew that Carolin would have done anything to ruin things for him as long as she got her money. 

"Sansa won't speak to me," Marco mumbled not looking at his friend, he wished that he could just go to her and tell her that nothing happened; he hated that she might be thinking that he had cheated or any of Carolin's lies were true. 

Carolin had even told the papers about the time that she had slept with Marco just before he had dated Sansa the first time around; she had spared no secrets and she had made sure that Marco looked bad in her lies. 

"I'm sure she'll come around," Mats reassured knowing that Cathy would go around and talk to her, he was happy for his friend and they had come such a long way to get to this point. 

Carolin's actions had been selfish and Mats was pleased to see that there had been some backlash from her lies, she was trying to tear apart a family and he hoped that everything would be okay.

***

Sansa sipped on her water, she had been a little surprised when Cathy had insisted on meeting up for lunch; she hadn't really spoken to her friend since they'd clashed at the football match months ago. 

It had been strange not speaking to her but Sansa had wanted to focus on proving her wrong, things had been going so well until Carolin had given her interview about how she had slept with Marco. 

Sansa didn't have to wait long before Cathy arrived, the two friends sat awkwardly for a moment knowing that things were going to be far from easy. 

"How are you?" Cathy asked peeking at the bump that was hidden under Sansa's jersey layered-hem tunic, she couldn't believe that her friend was going to have another baby; it was only a few weeks off the due date and she was sure everything would calm down by then. 

"I'm good," Sansa replied shrugging her shoulders, she was still upset about the stories that were flying around that Marco had cheated on her with Carolin; she hadn't been able to stop herself from reading them and they'd only put doubts in her mind. 

Sansa couldn't help but feel insecure about her relationship with Marco, she didn't know what Marco saw in her while she was the size of a whale; she wasn't as beautiful as Carolin and she couldn't shake the feeling that he would be better off with someone else. 

"I talked to Mats this morning... Marco really wants to speak to you," Cathy murmured watching Sansa, she didn't want her friend to doubt herself when things were going so well; once Sansa started to overthink things, there tended to be only one way that it could end. 

Marco was worried and Cathy knew that she had to make sure that Sansa didn't believe what the papers were saying; she hated how all this had come about now.

There was no way that Sansa could react well to the pressure that was now building, she was heavily pregnant and there was no way that she would be able to see Marco face to face until he came home from the Euros. 

Mats was the only person keeping him sane right now, Cathy hadn't been surprised to hear that he was even considering flying back to Germany just to reassure Sansa about all of this. 

"He didn't sleep with Carolin... she's making it all up," Cathy murmured knowing that she had messed up once and she was going to make this right, she didn't want Sansa ending things with Marco when he hadn't done anything wrong. 

The couple were doing so well and Cathy was sure that their wedding would still go ahead in a couple of months when their son had been born; she was looking forward to watching Sansa and Marco get married. 

The two had been through so much to get to this point and finally things were looking up for them, they had a baby due soon and Cathy didn't want anyone ruining things for them. 

Carolin had been completely out of line for selling her story, she had gotten money for it but she had also messed with someone's life; she had thrown her toys out of the pram when Marco had made it clear he didn't want her. 

Sansa stared at Cathy, her stomach turned a little at her words and she wasn't sure if she believed what she was being told; Carolin was very beautiful and Sansa wasn't sure why Marco wouldn't want someone like that. 

"He wants to talk to you... he's even considering coming home in the next few days," Cathy said knowing that Marco was desperate to talk with Sansa, he didn't care about his place in the team when his relationship was in danger. 

Sansa sighed looking down at her engagement ring, she was so confused right now and she had no idea what was going to happen now.

***

Packing a bag so that he could travel back to Germany, Marco knew that he couldn't allow this to carry on; he was worried about Sansa and Cathy had done little to ease his mind after having lunch with Sansa. 

There was no way that he was going to allow this to ruin things for them, he had talked with Joachim Löw and he had been given the all clear to head back for a couple of days. 

Joachim had been surprisingly supportive after Marco had sat down and explained to him what was happening, he didn't blame the younger man for wanting to hurry home and set his pregnant fiancée's mind at ease before she pushed him away. 

Marco didn't want to lose his family over some vicious lies that someone had told, he was going to make sure that Carolin was exposed for the liar that she was and he was determined to make things right with Sansa. 

There was so much going on right now and Marco knew that the last thing he needed was to lose his family so close to the time when his son would be born. 

Finishing packing his bag, Marco made sure to grab his passport before he made to leave the hotel room; he wanted to make his flight on time so that he could go and speak with Sansa. 

"Good luck," Mats murmured patting his friend on the shoulder, he wished that he would be able to do something to help but this was the best that Marco could do. 

Marco only nodded his head, he prayed that Sansa would listen to him when he explained what had really happened and that he wasn't going to come back single.