Chapter Thirty-One: Family Betrayal

Catherine took a deep breath as she stared at the training ground, she tapped her fingers on the wheel of her car while she waited for Marco to appear; she wished to speak to him and she hoped he would listen. 

It had been a couple of weeks since she had seen Sansa and Marco in the restaurant, she had barely been able to sleep and she wanted nothing more than to explain what had really happened. 

Edward had told her to leave Sansa alone, he was sure that sooner or later she would learn the real truth and would come back to them when she was ready; Catherine didn't believe that and she knew that she couldn't leave this alone. 

Catherine quickly climbed out of her car when she spotted Marco, she hurried over to him wanting him to listen to her; she had always liked him and he had been so good to her daughter. 

"Marco," Catherine called rushing over to him, she could see that he was far from happy that she had been waiting for him but she just wanted to talk to him. 

Marco turned to look at Catherine, he didn't know why she had come back and he knew that he didn't want her causing any more trouble for Sansa; she had suffered enough and he wasn't going to let anyone else hurt her or their son again. 

"Five minutes... that's all I am asking for," Catherine pleaded wanting to explain her side of the story, she felt horrible and she wasn't guilty of what Marco thought she was; she looked at him hoping that he would listen to her. 

Marco stared at Catherine, it was clear that she wasn't going to just disappear again; he put his training bag into his car and wondered what listening to Catherine would hurt. 

"Five minutes and then I never see you again," Marco agreed knowing that there was nothing that she could say that would excuse throwing Sansa out when she had needed her parents the most; she had needed them and they had turned their backs on her.

***

Catherine sipped on her coffee and looked at Marco, she had a folder sat in front of her and she knew it would help her plead her case; she hated that this was what it came down to and she had no other options. 

"Get on with it," Marco snapped wanting to head home, he wouldn't be telling Sansa anything about this and he wanted to focus on spending time with Finn and preparing for the birth of his first child. 

Catherine nodded her head, she tried to figure out where she would start; she was a little worried about them being seen together since she didn't want any trouble. 

"How could you throw her out?" Marco asked watching Catherine, he couldn't understand why Catherine would do that and he hated that she thought that she could come back into Sansa's life now when things were getting better. 

"I didn't throw her out... I sent her away to live with family," Catherine defended herself, she gritted her teeth hating the lies that Sansa had been told by the one person that Catherine thought that she could trust. 

Marco scoffed, it didn't make it any better what she had done and he knew that he would get up and walk away when the five minutes were up; he didn't care what Catherine would say when she had betrayed her own daughter.

"We started getting these letters threatening to hurt Sansa," Catherine whispered pulling out some samples and handing them to Marco, her hands shook a little knowing that they'd never stopped and whoever was sending them were sick and twisted. 

Marco took the letters, his stomach turning and he felt sick that someone had sent these letters to Catherine; they were horrible and one of them was even recently dated.

"We did everything that we could until someone broke into the house," Catherine whispered, she had hated that the person behind this had been able to get into her home in an attempt to hurt her daughter. 

Sansa had never known about this and Catherine had done her best to shield her daughter who was suffering enough after what Connor had done to her; she didn't need to know that someone was trying to hurt her. 

"Edward and I. We wanted Sansa to be safe and sent her to live with Leila," Catherine said shaking her head, she hated that she had been forced to do that but the police hadn't been able to catch the person responsible and Connor had an alibi every time they went to see him. 

Marco felt his stomach turn, he looked through the letters and he knew that there was only one person that could have done this; Connor had been obsessed with Sansa and he clearly needed help for it. 

"I wrote letters every week but they were always sent back... Sansa refused to even speak to me," Catherine continued looking at the letters that she had with her, she had wrote to Sansa as often as she could but her daughter had never gotten them that she was sure. 

Marco suddenly felt so unsure, he could see that Catherine had no reason to lie and these letters were proof that the person who was sending them had the very intent to hurt Sansa if they ever got close to her. 

"You think Leila did this?" Marco asked looking at Catherine, he had known the woman for years and he had never seen her like this; she was clearly suffering and he knew that she had just been trying to protect her daughter. 

Catherine nodded her head, she could think of no other reason that Sansa thought that she had abandoned her; she had never thought that this was how things would work out. 

"This isn't the first time I have tried to talk to my daughter," Catherine admitted looking down at her hands hoping that Marco would believe her; she just wanted things to get better for them.

Marco watched Catherine, she looked so hurt and it broke his heart that someone had messed with Sansa's life like this; he couldn't understand why things had gotten so confusing for them. 

"Leila had me arrested when Finn was born when I tried to visit," Catherine whispered, she had been so thrilled when Cathy had told her that Sansa had given birth and she'd gone straight to the hospital to see her daughter and grandson. 

However Catherine had quickly found herself being arrested after an argument with Leila, she was disgusted that with the things she had found herself accused of and then she had been forced to stay away. 

Marco stared at Catherine unsure what to say to her, he didn't know how he would explain this to Sansa but his fiancée deserved the truth and the only person that he would get that from was Leila who seemed to have a lot to say for her actions. 

"I can't guarantee that she'll want to see you," Marco said watching Catherine, it would take time for him to talk with Sansa about this and he didn't want to upset her when Leila had done so much for her in the past. 

Catherine nodded her head, she was just glad that Marco knew that Leila wasn't to be trusted and that he understand that she wasn't at fault for what had happened; she wished she could go back in time and change what had happened. 

"I have to get home. I'll be in touch," Marco said before leaving Catherine behind, he kept hold of the letters knowing that he would need them when he talked with Sansa. 

Catherine watched him leave, he was her last hope of ever getting to be a part of Sansa's life and she hoped that he could do it.