Chapter Thirty-Six: The One That Got Away

Carolin smiled not believing her luck, she had always thought about what might have been if she hadn't moved away and now here she was bumping into the man that she had not been able to forget about. 

"How have you been?" Carolin asked softly, she hadn't been able to miss the news that his football career had really taken off; she wondered what would have happened if she had never moved away. 

There was every chance that she would have been Mrs Marco Reus by now and they would have had a couple of beautiful children; it was disappointing to even think that he had somehow ended up with Sansa. 

Carolin had never been Sansa's biggest fan, she never understood what Marco had seen in the brat and when she had heard that the two had broken up back in 2010 she had been so sure that it would be for good. 

"I've been well," Marco murmured moving to put some space between them, he didn't want anyone getting the wrong idea and he knew what would happen if this ended up in the papers. 

It was the last thing that Marco wanted was for any trouble, Sansa was heavily pregnant and the distance between them was hard enough already without any drama starting. 

"I heard you play for Dortmund now," Carolin gushed remembering how much of a dream that had been for him, she still couldn't believe that this was the Marco that she'd let slip through her fingers. 

Marco nodded his head, he peeked around hoping to spot someone that would be able to come and rescue him from this; he didn't want any trouble and he just wanted to go to dinner without any further complications. 

"I have to get going," Marco said wanting to get away, he was starving and he knew that it wouldn't be long before someone came looking for him; he could only imagine what sort of stories might be spread if anyone was to see this.

"I could join you," Carolin suggested realising that Marco was going to dinner, she was starving and it beat sitting in her hotel room alone; it would be the perfect way to catch up with her old friend. 

Marco opened and closed his mouth, he didn't want to seem rude and he had no idea why Carolin was practically clinging to him now when he was sure that she had something better to do. 

"It'll be fun," Carolin insisted quickly grabbing onto Marco's arm and starting to drag him towards the dining hall, she ignored the stares that they were getting and she knew that everyone would be talking about this. 

Marco groaned under his breath, he had never had this problem before and it was the reason that he had been so worried about running into her; Carolin didn't seem to realise when things were getting odd. 

There was something else that also worried Marco, something that he had never really told Sansa about and it wasn't something that he wished for her to ever find out about; he knew that it would break her heart if she knew.

Marco couldn't bring himself to look over at his national team-mates, he could feel their stares and he dreaded to think what they were thinking about him and Carolin; the grip that she had on his arm hurt and she was so close to drawing blood with her sharp nails. 

"Do you remember that date we took a couple of years back?" Carolin asked with a smile, she looked at Marco knowing that it had been around the time that Marco had started dating Sansa; she wondered what would have happened if she had chosen to stay in Dortmund with him. 

"What the hell is he doing?" Mats whispered watching the scene before him, he could only imagine how Sansa would feel about this.

***

"I had a wonderful time at dinner," Carolin mused walking with Marco back to his hotel room, she knew that he had spent the evening trying to get rid of her but she hoped that he would invite her back inside. 

It might have been foolish but Carolin hoped that he would see how much she still cared for him, she had never forgotten what they had shared all those years ago and she felt like an idiot for letting him go. 

"Maybe next time we should go somewhere," Carolin suggested hopefully, she looked at Marco knowing that there was a beautiful little restaurant down the street and they would have a good time; he might even be more relaxed then he had been during dinner tonight. 

It had been disappointing how tense Marco had been, he looked like he would rather be having dinner with anyone else but her and Carolin did feel bad that she had practically held him hostage.

"I don't think so," Marco murmured with a shake of his head, he wished that he had stopped this sooner but he knew that there was no way he would be taking Carolin to dinner; he already dreaded to think what was going to be waiting for him when he turned on his laptop. 

Marco cursed himself for being so weak and not wanting to hurt Carolin's feelings, he was engaged and that wasn't going away; he was going to marry Sansa and they would soon have a baby together. 

"I'm engaged Carolin and I have a baby on the way... you know that," Marco murmured wanting to make this as gently as possible, she deserved happiness but it wasn't going to be with him; he had his own life and he wasn't going to dwell on the past.

Carolin pursed her lips, she hadn't expected this but it did warm her heart to see that he wasn't going to sway on his relationship; she felt a little bad for trying to pursue him right now. 

"Tell me you haven't thought about us," Carolin pleaded wanting to know he had at least thought about their night together like she had, Marco was her first and it was something that she had never been able to forget about.

"Not once... I have Sansa and that is all I ever wanted," Marco said firmly, he didn't like this and he dreaded to think about what he was going to tell Sansa; he had never told her about what had happened between him and Carolin. 

It scared Marco knowing that if Sansa were to find out that he had slept with Carolin when they had first started dating that there was a very large chance that he would lose her, Finn and the baby. 

"Does she know about us?" Carolin asked already knowing the answer, she wondered if Sansa would stick around if the truth was to come out; there were likely to be rumours now that she had spent the entire evening stuck to Marco's side. 

The guilt started to nibble away at Carolin, she tried to ignore it and she dreaded to think what the papers would say come morning; she felt a fool especially now that Marco was completely turning her down. 

"There was never an us," Marco stared firmly, he wasn't going to play into that and he knew that once this was over then he was going to speak with Sansa; he doubted that there was any way this wouldn't be in the papers. 

There were also going to be quite a few of his team-mates that would want to talk to him; a few had noticed his desperate looks for help but that wasn't going to change how clingy Carolin had been. 

"There could have been," Carolin whispered moving to try and kiss Marco, she found herself quickly being pushed away and she blinked back surprised when Mats grabbed her arm to stop her from trying to kiss Marco again. 

Marco shook his head and wondered why things had to start getting complicated now when his life was good.