Chapter Sixteen: Shit That's Got You Deep

Colton's POV

I adjust the glasses on my face, squinting into the blaring light. My feet drag across the concrete pavement, ignoring the hurrying passbyers. The muscle in my cheek twitched, surpressing the persistant headache. Cab drivers shouted boisterously out the windows, eagar for the next pick up. Overfilled sedans rushed by to get to their various places; drop the kids off at school, running late for work. Shopkeepers adjusted window displays, keeping an eye out for promising customers. The sickly sweet smell of coffee drifted in the air, along with cheap perfume and early morning cigarettes. Already the day promised to be a tentious one.

I rubbed the soft flesh covering my skull, soothing the pounding headache. My body felt drained out and weak, walking seemed like an impossible body function. My eyes were bloodshot and red. These were the affects of a night out with Haley, and per usual, the said person was nowhere to be seen.

I pushed open the door of a coffee shop. Before I got back home, I needed something inside me or I was convinced I was going to die. People rushed in and out in a hurry while I stood in line. I kept fiddling with the phone in my hands. I've been holding onto to it since I left the police station this morning. And for what?

Was I really stupidly hoping and waiting for her to call me? Come on, this is Haley we're talking about. The chances of that happening in any universe was unlikely, no matter what the circumstances was.

Speed dial anyone?

"Hi, what can I get you?"

The barista smiled warmly at me. I leaned my elbow onto the countertop, looking over their menu boredly.

"Coffee. Black. Large."

"Right up." she said just a little to perky and bounced away.

As soon as she turned her back I slumped my shoulders. Events of last night rushed through my mind in a blur: the fighting, the alcohol, party, Sasha, drama, and her. Already a warm emotion rushed through me like a drug, just thinking about her. Every detail of last night was imprinted in my mind, til the moment I woke up with her in my arms. I knew then, that was what I want, til the moment I die.

The unpredictablity, the rush of being around her, the crazy, insane and impossible. I wanted to take every risk, embrace danger, as long as I was with her.

I felt sticky and the stench of alcohol had began to tickle my nerves, and I reluctantly left the girl in my arms to take a shower, expecting her to be there when I returned.

When I did, the bed was empty, her scent lingering and faint.

That's the thing with Haley, when something gets relatably intimate for her, she shuts down and nails it down tighter than a limpet to a rock. But I've seen past that. Not only did I know I could be the person she could rely on, but I would, without hesitation. I needed to be. I needed her.

I guess I was a little bit disappointed. I thought I finally got somewhere last night. Nonetheless, I wasn't going to give up.

"Here you go, handsome. Large black coffee."

I slid a couple of notes across and nodded a thanks, grabbing the coffee.

My phone silently vibrated in my hand and I sighed, already knowing who was calling, for the twelfth time. Give a guy a break.

"Hey mom. What's up?" I asked.

My mother's frantic voice floated through the receiver. With a worrying tone, she asked:

"Colton, where are you?"

"I'm picking up some coffee, why? Is anything wrong?"

"Ah, not really. Just come home. Nothing to beat around the bush for."