Chapter 6

The shrill message tone of my phone woke me up with a start..I hadn't been able to sleep for a good Time last nite.
Thoughts of Ryan, the incomplete dinner, his laughter, his fragrance..everything was keeping me more occupied than I'd like.

With half-open eyes I peered at the screen to gather who it was.

'Hi..hope you're up.I'll pick you up in 5'

What?! Shoot, I completely forgot he was about to pick me up in the morning.

"umm...i'm not ready yet.. But you can come in till I get ready to go"

"oooK...then open your door"

Oh dear!

I ran downstairs to grab the door open.. I wanted to see him again..

He was wearing the same combination as yesterday ...looking cheerful and relaxed..

"hi!"

Seems like he slept like a log last nite!no dark circles, no heavy eye-lids, no mess in his hair..

"hi back.. Good morning"

"wow.. U look cutely messed up in the mornings"

Yeah, I didn't sleep all of last nite thanks to you..unlike yourself! Did all that happened last evening even matter to him ?

"let's get dressed up and leave.. I have a meeting at 10"

Yeah.. Like the only thing I did in office was tease people with my slit skirts !

"the coffee maker is right over there in case you need some while I'm Getting ready to go.."

"nope..we'll get some breakfast on our way..I am starving thanks to that silly waiter last nite"

"you said you weren't hungry?!"

"yeah, I wasn't hungry then..but after I dropped u I realised my stomach was growling too loud ..so I just grabbed a chilli dog on my drive home"

"so how are you affected by the silly waiter when you had something before you slept?"

Now i was hungry and I was angry..

"What good can a chilli dog do to a starved soul?? cmon now, lets get going.. we have to-have to eat before getting in to work". He stomped his foot like a 5 year old.

He was ordering me around outside office..was he?

I just shrugged and walked off to show my protest..I was hungry and I was angry!

Unfortunately, I never took more than 15 minutes to get dressed, no matter how hard I tried..
Even on my best looking days or party nights, I was ready and out in maximum twenty minutes.

But still when I came down, ready to go...he heaved a huuuge sigh..like I had just taken an eternity!!

Whatever! I rolled my eyes and quietly walked to his car.

A little while on the road and he spoke again..Would a hungry man ever speak so much?? I dont think so!

"So? you're not talking much today.. Something bothering you?"

"Yes, you and your damn hunger .. and the fact that you slept peacefully all night when I couldnt even blink an eye.."

"You think one can sleep peacefully in the backseat of one's car?"

"You? Slept in the backseat of your car? why? You forgot your keys somewhere?" I smirked sarcastically.

" I didnt go home last night..thought you would've noticed the same shirt and trousers from yesterday.."

"I'm sorry?? what?? why??"

"uhhh..I didnt feel like.."

"you didnt feel like???? what do you mean you didnt feel like.."

"I was too anxious for the morning..I couldnt go home, I couldnt stay with you..so I decided my car's my best bet .."

"so where did you get dressed? you look fresh and relaxed and not someone who has slept in the backseat of his car all night."

Liar!

"Haha..Aint I good at camouflage?? Do one thing..call up Hilton when you reach work and ask if someone from Raven Associates had checked in this morning for 2 hours.. they'll tell you"

"But why didnt you go home instead? you live ten blocks away"

"yeah in North Avenue"

"NORTH AVENUE??????"  I sounded like he had just said ALASKA..Okay, It wasnt alaska..But North Avenue was at the other side of town.

I continued, "then why would you lie to me?"

"cos I knew otherwise you wouldnt let me drop you home.."

"hang on.." I cut him off without apology.. "you wanted to drive all the way to my house, drop me, then stay in the car and pick me back up this morning again to drive to work??? Why would you do such a crazy unheard-of thing"

"wellllll.." he breathed heavily which drifted my mind to other things for as moment.. But I held strong.."people do such things.."

"that's precisely why I asked..WHY???"

"I don't know.. Why are you looking at me like I'm a case of mental trauma? I don't know why I did it..just.. I don't know"

"you don't know? What do you mean you don't know? When you take a decision, doesn't your mind ask you the reason and logic of taking such a decision"

"not really.. One big mac meal with potato wedges and not fries.. "

I blinked..what?
Gosh, I didn't even realise in my squabble that we'd reached McD.

"see.. My tummy took that decision.. What's your tummy say ?"

He patted his hand playfully on my stomach.. Running shivers of desire elsewhere.

Oh dear, I was turning into a pathetic slut.

 "umm..nnothingg"

"what? You said you were angry and hungry"

"I never said that..". Am I too loud in my head?

"whatever.. Gimme 2 of the same"

"you just ordered for me!!" my eyes burned at him

"yeah, get used to it"

"how do you mean?"

"I'll tell ya"

We parked in the lot and he opened up his Happy Meal like he was supposed to .. Happily.. Too happily.

Why was he so happy?

"why did you sleep in the car Ryan?"

"I didn't plan to.."

"so you planned to do what?"

"sleep at the hotel.." he shrugged, dismissing my question with that ass of an answer..

"that's not true.. You know it" I demanded.

"wow..look at those eyes.. You can actually make them that big huh?" he said..chomping his burger away to glory..making a sound that was irritating me further.

"don't try to scuttle the question.. I.."

"shhhhh..." his sauce-covered finger tip was on my lip..

The instinct was to lick it.. My mind was fortunately still in its place.

"eat your burger.. I got a meeting to catch"