Chapter 5

I was still taking in the views of the breath-taking city around us, when Ryan got a hold of my hand and was now taking me to  the furthest table on the floor.

"Hope you're not acrophobic.."

My answer though didn't seem like it would stop him from leading me to his table of choice.

I never knew such a format of holding hands even existed.
He held my hand firmly .. yet his touch was so gentle..

We settled down and he called for the captain to order our drinks and appetizers -A Scotch,a Vodka and some chicken.

I couldnt help but smile at how relaxed he was..He had spread his legs alongside the table and was facing me with his chin resting on two fingers.

"You come here often?"

"Nope..But this is the only place I could think of when I thought of taking you out to dinner"

I skipped a beat..

"um, hmm...It is a pretty place" I filled in with whatever I thought was a safe answer.

"So, where did we leave it last?"

"Me dumping my boyfriend ??"

"Nooooope...the morning thing...."
he said playing with the neck of his scotch glass.

All my attraction was overcome with blazing disgust...I was beginning to think he was only teasing me this morning, i was trying to forgive him ...

And now, he brings up the topic again? Was this romantic dinner, drive, drink
all a part of a plan to discuss his cheap fantasies with me and get me into bed? My head was spinning with questions I really didnt want answers to.

Guess he read my mind.."You do remember what happened this morning right?"

"Yes..how can I forget? You had almost measured my cup size and assumed the color of my underwear with your eyes."

He narrowed his eyes at me for a split second ..

"Listen Sonia...You're a beautiful woman and yes, I did get a little taken by your appearance this morning, but i was referring to the conversation with Steve..Thats where we left it this morning right? the coffee machine was much before that."

My face flushed at that answer.

"I'm sorry..I didnt realise you were talking about the latter incident... I.."

He cut me off .."Listen, we can talk about the coffee machine thing too if it is bothering you as much.."

His hand reached out to mine.."Hey, I'm sorry babe..I didnt mean to offend your dignity..I have to admit I was staring at you, yeah maybe I went a bit too far with my "wow''..

So he remembered it as is-where too..

"..And then when you turned I couldnt help giving you a look longer than your comfort limits..I'm sorry..I thought it went unnoticed and I had escaped the wrath of the only woman I want to know more about, all that just for a moment of lust. I'll do anything to apologise. Please forgive me"

The clutch of his hand was now firm ,fully cupping the back of mine ..but yet again, gentle as a feather..

I looked up at him to see the most innocent pair of eyes I had seen in my life...

I was at a loss of words but my mind was working at the speed of a super-computer.

"Sonia..." His hand moved from my hand to my cheek..his finger caressing my face, he leaned closer.."Please"

I melted under his breath, now peppered with the smell of the fine scotch he was having.. I felt his eyes alternating between my lips and my eyes trying to find a stable point of concentration, but clearly confused at which one to pick.

"Ryan..." I whispered.."I, forgive you."

And as if on cue, we realized a presence over our faces, which by now had come close, very close.

"Ma'am, Sir... are we ready for the main course ?"

I looked up to him and then glanced back at Ryan..His eyes were shut , so tight as if he was trying to battle the thought of stabbing the waiter.

But only for a moment after which he decided for the both of us..."I think we'll give the main course a skip..could you please get us the check?"

I smirked..there goes your tip, waiter!

Suddenly something wicked occured to me .. " Hang on...But didnt we come here for their Italian food, baby? They have the best penne they serve in this town.."

Ryan glared at me...his eyes ordering me to alter the course of my statement.

"...But I'm in the mood for some takeout too... so, yeah..guess we'll pick up the check now.."

The waiter knew it was over for him...No more tip expected here..

He paid the bill off, with some protest over going dutch from me going in vain and dragged me out of the place the same way he had taken me in..

I was walking behind him trying to hold back a smirk when I suddenly saw him turning back at me..

"You know...I could fire you for this!"

"Do you know...Firing the waiter for not letting me maintain eye contact with my boss is not part of my KRAs"

He stared at me, blinking a little at the unexpected snap..

"sure...but protecting your boss from unwelcome guests while he was involved in a very important conversation is your job"

"we were not having an important conversation.. we were not even talking"

"you sure about that?"

Our silence spoke .. it was speaking then too..and the waiter had interrupted..

We came down to the parking in the elevator, reached his car, came out the parking lot and reached the main street..all the time letting the proverbial silence converse.

"Chinese? Or Pizza?'' Finally!

''Umm..none actually...I'm not that hungry anymore.."

"you sure? are you saying that cos you're mad we exited out of there so abruptly?"

"I'm not mad..I'm just not hungry...But we can stop while you grab a bite.."

"nope..I'm not so hungry either..I thought you might be so I asked.."

"so then...I think we should head back to the office..my car's there"

"Your car? oh yeah....never mind..I'll drop you home.."

"That wouldnt have been a problem if finding a cab in the morning was as easy.."

"I'll pick you up..Dont worry about that!"

"what?? Oh no, That's not required..Seriously, I'll book a cab right now for early morning...actually, why dont you just drop me back to pick my car up..My house is anyways out of your way."

"how do you know where I stay?"

"C'mon, i've been working here long enough to know all external senior employees stay at the HILTON"

"ha ha...No...I'm not part of that lot..I have my home here.."

"you're from here?"

"my dad stays here..I'm staying with him for the time I'm here.. ever heard of Max Fergusson?"

"yeah..the celebrated photographer...oooooooh, he's your dad?"

"yep, that's my old man!"

"wow...I've seen some great pictures and I'm a fan.."

"you'll meet him soon.."

"why?"

He bit his lip..."cos you're a fan"

"Ye ye ye"

"what was that?"

"Just ...this stupid gag i do... when I wanna tease someone..I'm.. sorry" ....I blushed..Shit!

His laughter filled my ears and the closed cabin of the car...he had smiling eyes, I realised ..

"so, where to Ma'am"

"umm, Westside street...No.54"

"whoa...That's dangerously close...I stay ten blocks away..."

"seriously?"

"yep!!! Never knew it would be that simple for me to pick you up tomorrow"

I sighed...well, he had his way this way or that...

He drove well and we were at my house in fifteen minutes..

He parked at the side and waited..that was my cue to get off...
I stepped out and looked back at him, closing the door...mouthed a 'thank you' and turned around.

My door lock had been troubling me for the past few days..and it decided to trouble me again tonite.

While fumbling with the lock I almost forgot he was still waiting around, so that he could ensure I was safely indoors..what else could be the reason that he stood there till I carried out my procedure of fumbling with my keys and opening my door.

Suddenly I felt his arm touch mine .. "May I?"

"Umm sure..." He  had just run shivers down me..

He pushed open the door and handed the keys back over to me...

"Thanks...you're my hero"

"Ain't I?"

We started giggling together like a love-sick college couple, till he reached out his hand to my cheek, like he had done earlier.

"thanks..I had a great time.. I'll see you tomorrow morning.."

"yep..good nite "

"see you tomorrow"

"yeah...see you tomorrow"

"right outside ur house ..ok?"

"yeah..right here..on this porch"

"k, good nite.."

"yeah..good nite "

Why the pain in letting each other go?  We'd only met 12 hours back !!

For the umpteenth time, we said our goodbyes and turned away..it was going to be one long nite..